cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Migration from Oracle to SAP maxdb

0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We are planing to migrate our SAP database system from Oracle to Maxdb. We are looking for migration documents and materials but we are not getting required documents. So please provide documents,links for oracle to maxdb migration.

Regards

Santosh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are SAP customer, please review the SAP note:

1007129 FAQ: DB migration with MaxDB as target

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

you want to read [HowTo - Database Migration to SAP MaxDB|https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/x/uiAB] and the documents referenced in there.

A general hint: take the opportunity to get the Migration service offered by SAP.

It makes many things easier and smoothes the transition to MaxDB.

regards,

Lars

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply. It helped me a lot.

Can anyone provide me procedure to carry out database migration from oracle to MAXDB. I want to migrate my ECC 6.0 systen database from oracle 10.2.0 to SAP MAXDB 7.6 or 7.7 database system.

And if training is required, What kind of training I should prefer for carry out this activity?

Thanks and regards

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi again,

to do this yourself you've to be a certified sap migration consultant.

The training and the test for this provide all necessary knowledge to perform the migration.

This does not include db tuning which will be necessary afterwards - so taking the migration service would still be a good choice.

regards,

Lars

0 Kudos

Can You tell me the traning code for that?.

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suggest

ADM515 - Database Administration SAP MaxDB

For the migration itself: It's not enough to have a training - you need to have a certificate that you're allowed to do the migrations.

Basically you will use the system copy guide for heterogeneous migrations. The database will be unloaded on the source system using R3load and "installed" on the target system the same way using R3load.

However, there are certain configuration things to consider for source and target database and also product dependent things to be considered (R3load parameters for loading the database, sorted/unsorted loading etc.)

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And maybe - as a hint on how to start:

- install the very latest dboraslib.dll, R3load, R3szchk and R3ldctl on the source system

- start sapinst and select "Lifecycle Management - system copy"

- select the "load based" export

- provide enough space (about 10 % of the source systems size)

- use max. 2 R3load processes per CPU, split the export into smaller packages (faster). You may need to repeat that to find out the optimal package size and number of parallel R3loads. If the database is huge, you may also consider splitting the tables themselves.

- then start sapinst on the target system, select here "Lifecycle Management - system copy"

- select "advanced options" in the R3load dialog (on the page where you enter the migration key)

- check that R3load has the load option "-force_repeat" set (Note 1320361 - R3load -force_repeat for MaxDB)

- sapinst will install the kernel and the database software

- while the DB software is being installed and the database created download the very latest patches for R3load and dbsdbslib.so from the SMP for your platform and put them in the kernel directory (make sure you rename R3loadada to R3load)

- during the load rename the file "startsap" (to e. g. startsap.orig) in the executable directory to prevent the system from starting

- after sapinst stopped because of being unable to start the system, step into the profile directory and set the parameter rdisp/wp_no_btc to 0 so no jobs will be started when the system starts

- rename startsap.orig back to startsap

- continue with sapinst (retry)

- after sapinst finished logon to the system (you will get a dump START_CALL_SICK because of the missing batch processes, ignore it)

- execute program BTCTRNS1 to suspend all jobs until you´re finished with configuring the database

- stop the system

- adapt the MaxDB parameters according to Note 814704 (MaxDB 7.6)

- take a full backup of the database

- during the backup update your kernel to the latest one and also install all the other patches (dw* etc.) that were created after the full package SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB

- when the backup is finished start MaxDB and the system

- execute program BTCTRNS2 to re-schedule all jobs

- DONE

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That depends on the system you want to migrate.

The courses are titled something like this:

C_TADM70_04 - SAP Certified Technology Consultant SAP NetWeaver '04- OS/DB Migration for SAP Systems

C_TADM70_03 SAP Consultant Certification Technology Consultant OS/DB Migration for SAP Systems (2003)

So TADM70 should be a safe guess at the [course search|http://www.sap.com/services/education/certification/searchcourse.epx]

regards,

Lars

0 Kudos

Thanks for your very useful reply. if posible please help me to find out Institues who conducts this training program in india.

If I want to write to SAP which email I can send mail to?

Regards

Santosh nikam