cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade to BI 7.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our client is planning to go for an upgrade to SAP BW 7 from SAP 3.1b. Please provide inputs for follwoing aspects

1. Check whether it is possible to upgrade to 7.0 within this year, as the support window for 3.1 expires this year.

2. Delta b/w 3.1 and 7

3. Benefits: e.g. existing BPS functionality in SEM can be migrated to 7.0; instance consolidation

4. Other peripheral systems that would be affected i.e. portal; IGS etc

5. Assumptions and Risks of the upgrade

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have SEM already, you need SEM 6.0 on NW04s / BI 7.0.

There may be some issues with SEM-CPM management cockpit configuration for formatting.

You would need Portals upgrade to EP 7.0.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to migrate the SEM-BPS functionality to NW04s and do away with SEM completely? The client is using SEM only for BPS. Actually the primary requirement is to consolidate the to instances into one NW04s instance. Is it feasible?

klaus_werner
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

BPS is moved into BW (BW-BPS) since BW3.5, so it is also contained in NetWeaver 2004s. With NetWeaver 2004s you also have the new integrated planning, that is totally independent of the old BPS (migration is unfortunately not available). So the answer is basically yes, you have to decide however, whether you would like to stay in the old functionality or use the new one.

Regards, Klaus

Former Member
0 Kudos

So does that mean that we cannot migrate from SEM 3.2 to NW 04s. If we decide to migrate to NW 04s then we have to rebuild the functionality there and do away with old version of SEM 3.2.

klaus_werner
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You can use the old functionality (SEM-BPS which is now BW-BPS and still available in NW2004s). If you have separate systems you can transport the BPS objects over to the other system.

If you'd like to use the new integrated planning functionality then you'd have to build your the objects you need for planning, with the advantage that most of them are regular BW objects like queries, variables (that's why it's called integrated planning).

Regards, Klaus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Klaus,

I am a touch confused here. I ll again try to formulate my questions. We have a requirement from client to upgrade BW 3.1 to 7.0 and also migrate existing SEM-BPS functionality to BW 7.0

I need some expert opinion on following points:

1. Dependency of SEM 3.2 with BW 7.0 – i.e. if we upgrade to 7.0 can SEM 3.2 still be used or we need to upgrade that to SEM 6.0

2. SAP's migration path from SEM to BW – Any information on this would be helpful.

3. What can be the possible solutions for going about this upgrade.

Thanks

Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

1. You generally must upgrade to the latest version of SEM when you upgrade your SAP NetWeaver BI implementation, if you are using SEM as on add-on to your enterprise BI system. For SAP NetWeaver 2004s (the official name of the release), you will need SEM 6.0. You can see the mapping in the SAP Service Marketplace at http://service.sap.com/bi under the Integration with SAP Products folder.

2. In the Media Library > Presentations section of the BI site, please view the presentation "Bus. Planning in SAP NetWeaver - transition BPS: SEM to BW".

3. Not sure what you mean. Please review the upgrade guides in the SAP Service Marketplace at http://service.sap.com/instguides. For specific guidance, perhaps one of the consultants posting to this forum can help you.

Regards,

Katie Beavers

SAP NetWeaver Product Management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kathleen,

As you said we must upgrade to latest version of SEM when you upgrade your SAP NetWeaver BI implementation.

I wanted to know is it mandatory OR will SEM 3.2 work on BW 7.0

Thanks

Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

I don't understand your confusion. SAP NetWeaver 2004s (which you are referring to as BI 7.0) requires SEM 6.0. This is also shown in the mapping to which I referenced you. This means that it is mandatory. If you have SEM installed on your BI system, when you try to upgrade, you will NOT be able to complete the upgrade without also upgrading SEM.

Regards,

Katie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

Also, I saw that you posted the same question on the SAP NetWeaver 2004s forum. Please post questions to only one forum, to avoid people doing duplicate effort to help you.

Regards,

Katie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Varun,

I am assuming that you have SEM as an addon to your BW system rather than having separate landscapes for BWs and SEM.

If so, there are version dependencies between the 2.

BW 3.0B - SEM 3.1B

BW 3.1B (up to 3.3. content) - SEM 3.2 or SEM 3.5

BW 3.5 - SEM 4.0 (For those system on BW 3.5 without SEM addons, you have BPS functionalities without 10 planning functions).

BI 7.0 / NW04s - SEM 6.0

For single system architecture, it is mandatory to upgrade to SEM 6.0. For multi-system architecture, I would think it would be recommended to upgrade both BW and SEM servers to BI 7.0 and the SEM box to SEM 6.0 since there are significant foundation differences.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

I thin the SDN version of the comparison document may be an older version than is currently available on the SAP Service Marketplace. You may want to look at the following:

https:/service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700001990992004E/Transition_BPS.ppt

Regards,

Katie Beavers

SAP NetWeaver Product Management

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Varun,

1. yes, it should possible since nw2004s planned to be release this may 2006.

2. check what's new

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/57/a21f407b402402e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

3. sem-bps to nw2004s transition doc

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/98c4d590-0201-0010-e480-eca...

4. should no problem.

hope this helps.