cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRM - Why do we need a 'development w/o release' phase?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In normal correction, 'development w/o release' phase is the first phase. It does not allow transport within the correction to be released until the phase is shifted to 'development with release' . I am just curious why any one would want to do that. Has any organization used this practice?

Thanks

Ming

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is understandable that in regular maintenance cycle, we want all transports go at the same time. But this can be achieved by using phase 'Develop with release'. This will still regulate all transports and also give each correction the chance to be released.

The only time I can think of why anyone want to use 'Development without release' is they want developers to do unit test in the same DEV system. The transport numbers can be reduced since developer can not release the transports. I don't know if this is SAP's design

Ming

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The change manager sets the status of the maintenance cycle to Development wo Release. When this status is set, corrections can be developed, and transport requests and transport tasks can be created. Exports, however, are not permitted (except in the case of u'gent corrections). U'gent corrections are permitted in every phase except for the Go Live phase.

check [this|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_smehp1/helpdata/en/06/172e4208d06869e10000000a1550b0/content.htm] workflow for maintenance cycle.

Hope this answers your question.

Feel free to revert back.

-=-Ragu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ragu

I understand the workflow of maintenance cycle and normal correction. My question is why would anyone want to prohibit the export and release of transports by using 'development w/o release'. what are the benefits.

Thanks

Ming

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ming,

Normal corrections should all go together in the transport route. Normal corrections should not be released or transported individually. And they should not be released until there is an approval from the Change Manager.

In order to regulate the movement of normal corrections, there is the phase "development w/o release". All normal corrections will be implemented and will be waiting in the Dev system to be moved together until the approval of the Change Manager.

However, if there is some u'gent correction, it can be moved to subsequent systems in spite of the "development w/o release" phase.

Hope the purpose should be clear now.

best regds,

Alagammai.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd like to answer this question, and I have pretty good answer. However this ridiculous forum is telling me I am using forbidden words / phrases. Good luck, and well done SDN.

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Watch your words "maniac" The forum rules are inteded not to hurt anyone. You must be using U'gent in the post. Use it as U'gent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately I have the same experience as Solmaniac and I wrote my answer - IMHO - in quite eloquent english.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My a'ologies. I w'll wat'h my w'rds m're c'osely in t'e futu'e, I d'dn't reali'e Urge't wa's a pr'ohibited ter'm. F'rther, I w'll t'pe in y'ur recommend'd f'shion g'ing f'rward so my po'ts w'll n't be b'ocked. T'ank y'u fo' y'our s'ggestion.

Former Member
0 Kudos

By the way what is meant with U'gent?