cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to MDM server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I connect to MDM server using VPN. When i launch console and mount MDM server, the server has a lock sign attached to it, and i can't do anything with it...If i keep trying, then suddenly the lock sign changes, but i get a yellow dot with "!" inside. i can ping the server, and when i do a drop down, i can see the server also, but i can't connect to it. i shutdown my windows firewall also. I was able to connect couple of weeks back, but just recently i couldn't connect. It looks like it's a problem with my laptop.Any ideas on what could be the issue.

Thanks

Pandari

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

A couple of more observations from recent projects:

1. <b>Lock synbom indicates that server is running but NOT able to accept connections.</b> In other words, server has been brought to its knees, and bounce the server is the only way to get out.

2. IN our case, it is Oracle installtions, and this server lock was often times observed following console admin functions such as archive/unarchive, and load and unload of multiple catalogs multiple times (during development and testing phases).

FYI:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pandari,

Try these steps:

1. Reconnect your internet connection

2. Ping your host to see if the connection is there

3. Then deactive the VPN and active it again.

4. Try to mount your MDM server.

Regards,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Here is the explanation of the Icons that you see in your server:

<b>Server with Lock Symbol:</b> The MDM Server is running but the connection to it has not yet been

established.

<b>Server with Warning Symbol:</b> The connection to the MDM Server has been lost.

The drop down mentioned by you simply holds the History. Try to use the IP address or the Host name on which the MDM Server is installed.

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i tried IP and host name, same result. cannot connect. any other thoughts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pandari,

Try ping the MDM Server from the command prompt. If u r in network and still not able to connect. I would suggest restart the MDM Server.

If you MDM Server is installed as an Windows Service.

Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services and select MDM Server 5.5 and restart the process.

Hope this helps

Let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajani,

How do I release Server with Lock symbol for creating repository?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. Try close and reopen the console.

If not

2. Restart the server should fix the problem.

If your MDM Server is running as Windows Service.

Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services and select MDM Server and restart.

Thanks and regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subbu,

Thanks for your suggestion. Still it does not work.

By the way, when I MS SQL Server runs, this is how it picks up the name of the database server ....

'DCAN00404249A\SAP_DEFAULT' and this is the same name I give as MDM Server also. Do I need to change any of these things?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you trying to connect to the remote MDM Server.

Just ping the MDM Server ip address from the commnad prompt and see whether you are in the network or not.

Just give the DBMS server name, that should work.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try with <b>DCAN00404249A</b> as server name.

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have my MS SQL Server database installed local to my machine. So, it is not remote. But after installation of my SQL Server, it picks up the DBMS server name as 'DCAN00404249A\SAP_DEFAULT '. I hope I need to give the same name in MDM Console too. Is that right? When I use SQL Analyzer, I can use both Windows & Server authentication to connect to the database.

Do you have any suggestion? Can I reach you over phone?

Thanks. REgards. Vig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Did you finish the DBMS Settings in the MDM Console to make sure MDM and Database can communicate.

If not try it, based on the error message we can proceed further.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pandari, Vigneswara,

Please verify these things:

1. You can ping both the MDM Server and the SQL Server, or at least that you can ping the SQL Server from the MDM Server and the MDM Server from where you run your app. / the DataManager.

2. You are using the same version of all of the products (MDM Server, MDM Console, MDM DataManager / Java API / etc..).

3. Your SQL Server containing the repository's data is running.

Now, after these things settled, please follow these steps:

1. Open the MDM Console.

2. Mount the MDM Server machine.

3. Start the MDM Server from the console (if it is not already running, of course).

4. If you see that your repository is locked, try right-clicking and choosing "Unlock" from the pop-up menu.

5. Load your repository, updating indices (if needed).

6. Try to connect to your repository...

Hope this helps,

regards,

Nir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pandari / Nir / Subbu / Ranjani,

The problem at my end was identified improper installation of MS SQL Server. As soon as I re-installed that correctly, everything started working for me.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any documentation to read on how the master data in SAP R/3 are organized like Customer / Material / Vendor etc and their respective transactions? Pl. share with me in case you have details on those.