cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proposed number of clients on SAP XI / PI System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am wondering what the benefit of having more than one client on one SAP XI / PI system ist.

Sometimes I have seen for example two or more SAP XI clients on one SAP XI system at the customer site. Obviously it was proposed to do so, but I do not see any great advantage of that.

Do you know when it is recommended to have more than one client on one system ( in a 3-tier system landscape DEV - TEST - PROD )?

Thank you very much for your advise.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thank you for your explanations.

I just was wondering why there should be more than one client on Dev, when there is a 3-tier system landscape on three dedicated boxes installed anyway.

The explanation of Aamir sounds very reasonable to me. As far as I understand this would mean, that there would be the possibility to split testing activities on dev for example:

Client 100: Pure Development

Client 200: Unit Tests

Client 300: Load Tests

However after the additional comment of Mathan I doubt whether it makes sense to split testing on dev on separate clients if only one client can be connected to the J2EE stack.

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A reason for using client could be performing ABAP Proxy related configurations. This could be used in 2 cases. One could be that there is no test ERP system and developer just want to get some hand over how abap proxy works. Another reason could be that the abap proxy client is used by some system to access PI abap database. For the second option I mentioned, of course abap mapping could be the preferred choice, but I have seen this settings in one of my customer's landscape in Production.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Florian,

In PI system, there can be only one intergration client to which your J2EE part of XI is connected.

If its a test system, you can have additional clients which can be used as business systems.

Rgds,

Mat.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

Its main usage is to manage the system efficiently.

there are three reserved clients,000,001 and 066.other than that you can have as many clients as you want between 000 and 999 but creation of each client comes at the price of data base space.

We have several clients on our Dev system,for Unit testing,Configuration,Load test,Development etc.

Thanks

Aamir

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hello,

>

> I am wondering what the benefit of having more than one client on one SAP XI / PI system ist.

>

> Sometimes I have seen for example two or more SAP XI clients on one SAP XI system at the customer site. Obviously it was proposed to do so, but I do not see any great advantage of that.

>

> Do you know when it is recommended to have more than one client on one system ( in a 3-tier system landscape DEV - TEST - PROD )?

>

> Thank you very much for your advise.

well you can have a DEV and QA on the same box with different clients but i rather not propose to have the PRD also as a different client on the same box