Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

basic question on classification

former_member945471
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why is classification used? How does it help beside being categorised differently than the actual folder structure? Please clarify.

Thanks and regards,

Arun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

You may know that taxonomy and classification are closely associated.

Taxonomy:A taxonomy depicts the hierarchical ordering of categories. Taxonomies allow you to structure a large number of documents that belong to a document set clearly.

Classification:The classification procedure assigns documents to the categories according to topic.

I too have doubts regarding the utility value of taxonomy & classification. One of the threads even suggest that the sole purpose of classification may be in categorising the documents depending upon its relativity.

Also see this thread

Regards,

Ganesh N

KarstenH
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

>> "depending upon its relativity"

I do not quite understand...

Does this refer to example-based classifictaion?

In which documents are being classified by similarity rather than defined boolean queries as in query-based classification? Well, it's your choice of methods...

And in the thread that Ganesh already linked to, find a simple example for the usage of query-based taxonomies. For the end users the feeling of navigation is of course the same.

But with taxonomies you may be able to offer better navigational approaches than in the physical folder structure.

If, of course, your "physical" structures in any connected file server, Notes DB, PLM DMS etc. are fit for user navigation and if it does not matter that users will then still have to know in which repository to look for info, then you are right and you may not need to use taxonomies.

Regards, Karsten

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Refer to the link below-

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/bf/a17a05d15211d6b2c700508b6b8a93/frameset.htm">http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/bf/a17a05d15211d6b2c700508b6b8a93/frameset.htm</a>

Classification is used to classify your documents in a proper taxonomical manner.

For example - Say you have created a taxonomy on the basis of "technology". You have two categories - "portal" & "sap".

The category "portal" has subcategories "SP11" and "SP12".

Now say you upload a particular document that contains text and terms relating to "portal" then it automatically gets classified under the category "portal".

If you upload a document containing text "Poral SP11" it get classified under category "portal" and sub category "SP11"

Documents containing text relating to both "Portal" and "SAP" shall automatically appear in both the categories.

Thanks,

Samta

former_member945471
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Karsten/Samta,

I understand that classification allows to classify using categories. However, I do not see how it helps the end-user except that he/she sees that it belongs to a different folder strcture besides the physical folder structure where it is.

Also, I notice the category folder structure has the taxonomy name as root node. Is it not possible to have category structure that does not have taxonomy name as root node?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,

Arun

KarstenH
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

it may e.g. help you to merge different repositories into one common navigation structure.

Regards, Karsten