Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Base and alternate unit of measure

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

can anyone please tell me

1) what is base unit of measure and alternate unit of measure.

2) what is the relationship between these two.

i have one program which currently calculates base unit of measure for all the unit costs and now i need to calculate the alternate unit of measure for all the unit cost

I heard that relationship of these two will be found in MARM table but i couldnt find it

Please tell me how do i do achieve it.

Thanks,

Ahmed.

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Base Unit of Measure

Quantities of warehouse materials (quants) are counted using the base unit of measure (UoM). Quantities in alternative units of measure are always converted to the base unit of measure for calculation purposes.

Alternative Units of Measure

Alternative units of measure can also be defined to identify packages or lager containers for smaller units of measure such as cartons, boxes, bottles, barrels, pallets (storage unit types) and so on.

Converting Alternative Units of Measure

Since the MM system uses the base unit of measure for calculation purposes, the WM application requires that a conversion be defined for any alternative units of measure that have been assigned to a material.

When you create a new material in the system, for example, if you designate "piece" as the base unit of measure and "box" as an alternative unit of measure, the system will display a conversion window which asks you to define how many pieces are contained in a box.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please take the example like

Base unit of measure is like Meters

Alternate unit of measure is Centimeters

relationship between these two 100cm = 1 m.

Regards,

Suresh

former_member555112
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

BASE UOM is the unit of measure which will be used by business to calculate the weight of the goods or rather the Unit of measure in which stocks of the material are managed.

Say for example I create one bulb. The base UOM is PCE or Piece.

It means that the Bulb will be referred to as 1 Piece irrespective of its weight.

So if in the sales order i put 10 PCE of Bulb it means 10 individual unit of the bulb.

Alternative UOM is the Unit of measure in which quantities can be entered alternatively to the base unit of measure / stockkeeping unit.

Say for example in our cases; we are selling these bulbs in boxes.

I BOX = 10 PCE .

So BOX becomes your alternate UOM.

The relation is maintained in MARM table via the additional view in the Material Master (MM01/ MM02/ MM03 transaction)

The relation 1 : 10 is managed by the UMREN UMREZ fields in MARM.

I hope this is useful for you.

Regards,

Ankur Parab

former_member555112
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

BASE UOM is the unit of measure which will be used by business to calculate the weight of the goods or rather the Unit of measure in which stocks of the material are managed.

Say for example I create one bulb. The base UOM is PCE or Piece.

It means that the Bulb will be referred to as 1 Piece irrespective of its weight.

So if in the sales order i put 10 PCE of Bulb it means 10 individual unit of the bulb.

Alternative UOM is the Unit of measure in which quantities can be entered alternatively to the base unit of measure / stockkeeping unit.

Say for example in our cases; we are selling these bulbs in boxes.

I BOX = 10 PCE .

So BOX becomes your alternate UOM.

The relation is maintained in MARM table via the additional view in the Material Master (MM01/ MM02/ MM03 transaction)

The relation 1 : 10 is managed by the UMREN UMREZ fields in MARM.

I hope this is useful for you.

Regards,

Ankur Parab

0 Kudos

Hi Ankur,

Thanks a lot . your answer is very helpful for me.

I have one more doubt . currently my program calculates unit cost based on base UOM and now i need to calculate unit cost based on alt UOM.

I have found one formula for this which i am not able to understand

unit cost based on alt UOM = ( UMREZ / UMREN ) * unit cost of base UOM.

Can you please explain it.

Thanks,

Ahmed.

0 Kudos

Hi,

UMREZ - Numerator for Conversion to Base Units of Measure

UMREN- Denominator for conversion to base units of measure

e.g .base unit is pieces, alt unit is crates

if 1 crate is equivalent to 100 pieces,

therefore , for 50 pieces

--> Umrez/umren* uom

--> 1/100 * 50