cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application based Personalization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do we have <b>application based Personalization</b> in Enterprise Portal ?

For e.g.

For a report program, in ABAP we have variants. Similarly, for an application program in Enterprise Portal, a user wants to store a few selection parameters as default and the application will run based on those default parameters. At some point, he may change those default parameters. So the next time the application runs, this will pick up the user's default application values and run the application.

Is this possible in EP or Web Dynpro ?

I faintly remember this is not possible as I recall one of the messages by an SAP member, but I am not sure. It was mentioned that this will be made available in future SP.

If anyone has used mySAP Workplace, you may be aware of this feature there.

I am currently on EP SP12.

Regards,

Subramanian V.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Subramanian,

each iView (that's in the end a portal component) has at least theoretically the possibility to be personalized. It depends on the concrete iView (component), if it offers values to be personalizable.

There are two possibilities to do that: iView Parameters just can be declared as personalizable (from the developers), and then the standard personalization dialog will be used; or the developers can implement a special personalization dialog by their own.

Hope it helps

Detlev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Detlev,

Thank you for your immediate reply. Your answer does delve in a broad area. Let me take an example here, just to make sure that I made myself clear.

For e.g. , I have developed , say, a Web Dynpro application and it has one field called TimeZone.

User A, would want to set GMT as his TimeZone.

User B, would want to set EST as his TimeZone.

In your statement, you mention that iView Parameters just can be declared as personalizabale. So when User A, tries to access this iView from authorization, I will come to know who is the user. How will I come to know that User A wants to use GMT as his TimeZone ?

I know for sure that I can pass GMT as an application parameter, so the personalization for application+role is achieved. However, my problem arises - where do I store the information that GMT is the timezone for User A and EST is the timezone for User B!

I, therefore presume that <b>storing the information</b> (timezone in this case) for a particular user is not a feature built-in portal, but it depends on the developer how he stores this information and retrieves it back.

Let me know if I have understood it correctly.

Once again, thankyour for your response.

Best Regards,

Subramanian V.

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Subramanian,

> a Web Dynpro application

That's much more problematic. WD app's are not really portal applications, they are just URL integrated J2EE applications (with some specific features on the WD side to make use of portal specialities).

> you mention that iView Parameters just

> can be declared as personalizabale

That's done within the portalapp.xml for portal applications and their components. But a WD integrated app is based on an integration portal application. So here this mechanism doesn't work.

> storing the information (timezone in this case)

> for a particular user is not a feature built-in portal

In general, it definitely <i>is</i> - but this, as said, holds for portal applications, not for integrated applications, whether they are WD apps or BSPs or whatsoever.

Hope it helps

Detlev

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your immediate reply, once again.

Best Regards,

Subramanian V.