cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material specific shipping text???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends

Is there any way to have shipping instructions print out that are specific to certain materials? I don't want to maintain this text in Sale text tab in material master because we are allready using this field to print on order acknowledgement, whereas shipping instruction for the particular material should print only on delivery papers, appreciate if you could please advice how I can meet this requirement. This text would be specific to a material "X", so everytime material "X" is used then shipping instruction should automatically populate on delivery papers.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike - As it appears you have been a member of the SDN community for a couple of years I assume that you have access to OSS Notes. Take a look at Notes 112065 and 30286. In the 'Additional Data' of the material you have a number of tabs. The first is called 'Descriptions'. It has a language assigned to it, but beneath it you can assign any other languages with the corresponding descriptions against it e.g 'Z1'...

If that isn't sufficient then you may have to judiciously use one of the other text tabs in there e.g. Basic text tab. Same thing applies, just using your 'Z1" custom language. To extract it just get your ABAPer to use the READ_TEXT function within the form using the material number, the language (Z1), the Text ID ('GRUN' - for basic data text) and the Text Object (MATERIAL).

I trust this will resolve your issue.

Cheers,

Paul...

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

where do I need to maintain this text in material master,I don't want to do it on sales text tab because we are printing the text from there on our order acknowledgements,

This text will be related specific to shipping and we want to print it on delivery papers, still I don't get the clear idea from the replies. No idea how condition technique would help here, somebody also mentioned about using different language I don't know how will that work.

Appreciate if someone could explain in detail. I have a material for which there is a specific text which I want to print on delivery papers, I don't want to use the sales text field in material master. We can't maintain in customer master because it is valid only for material.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

A real easy way of having material specific text is through the use of a custom language. I know this sounds strange, but you can use up to 7 (from memory) 'Z' languages. There's plenty of documentation in OSS and in SDN no doubt on how to get it up and running. I've used it in the past and it works a treat. Standard text determination can bring the text through into the deliveries of you want them in there, or else get the SmartForm of SAPScript to read it out when the output is required. Too easy!

Cheers,

Paul...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also you might want to use Text Determination capabilities; using the Condition Technique you can control which material will get a specific text at delivery level.

SPRO --> Logistics Execution --> Shipping --> Basic Shipping Functions --> Text Control

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike

I would do that in the following Manner

1) Identify the Set of all Materials which needs the shipping instructions to be printed and Group them with some Characteristic.

2) If the Shipping Instructions are Common to all of these Materials then create a Long text in S010

3) in the smart form write the logic that if the materials belong to xxxxxx then read the long text and if there is a long text then print in the smart form.

I would control this feature via Long text.