cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows/SQL vs AS400/DB2

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am currently running ECC 6 on an iSeries/OS400 with DB2. The system is adequate for the number of users that I currently have but i am about to add MM and SD to the system, therefore adding users, and do not belive that the system is sized adequately. I am in the process of sizing but also thinking of migrating from OS400 to Windows/SQL. I've done some research to see what is needed for this migration but what I'm looking for are opinions on migrating or war stories. I would like to know what your opinions are (should I stay with OS400 DB2 or jump to Windows), if you have performed a migration yourself, pros and cons to doing so, etc..

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nobody can tell you what is "the best" environment for you. There are many factors influencing your decision:

- licenses for iSeries vs. Windows/SQL Server licenses (+ SAP licenses on the different databases)

- the mandatory migration consultant on-site (http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration), without one you'll loose support for the target system

- in-house knowledge (you know Windows + SQL Server as good as iSeries? Note: Windows is not clicking only)

- necessary downtime

- additional software (backup, cluster etc.)

- connected systems compatible (endianess!)

etc.

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Windows/SQL was chosen and we are in the beginning phases of an OSDB migration.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

We are considering a similar migration and wanted to know if we can discuss (via phone or email) how your migration is going.

Thanks,

Roy Brasse

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bob and Roy

We are considering a similar migration and wanted to know if we can discuss (via phone or email) how your migration is going and what to consider prior to the migration.

Thanks,

Antoine Azokly