Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Session Logout

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi;

There are many users who have the habit of openning many session simply and keeping it ideal. I want to logoff those sessions which are not active for a particular time and not to logout the user.

I have used the profile rdisp/gui_auto_logout but it logs out the user completely if the session is kept idle for set time. But this parameter does not logout any sessions if any one session of the user ,is active.

So we need to logoff the idle session only as the user forgets to close the unused sessions.

Pls help as there a more usage of the resource and this slows our system.

regards

chandra

3 REPLIES 3

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have only one option that is you can restrcit the number of session, else you dont have any other option, because there is no such option to logoff the idle session only.

Regards,

Subhash

sdipanjan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> There are many users who have the habit of openning many session simply and keeping it ideal. I want to logoff those sessions which are not active for a particular time and not to logout the user.

This facility is still not there as of NW 7.1. But you can optimized this by planning in a different way.

> I have used the profile rdisp/gui_auto_logout but it logs out the user completely if the session is kept idle for set time. But this parameter does not logout any sessions if any one session of the user ,is active.

As I already told that such facility is not provided yet, you can manage maximum number of sessions a user can open. You can change the maximum number of sessions can be opened by a user (which is 6 as default).

> So we need to logoff the idle session only as the user forgets to close the unused sessions.

This is perfect. It has to be.

>

> Pls help as there a more usage of the resource and this slows our system.

In this case, you need to understand the system usage as per Actions performed by the user. If the session is Idle then there is no data exchange with the Application Layer and thus the load for a idle session is negligible on system performance. Idle session doesn't hold any Work process and use the memory of Local machine (Presentation Layer).

But, if the idle session is kept in update mode, i.e. session is left in change mode of a TCode then there will be impact on system performance. Update mode holds a Lock entry in the Lock table of Main Memory and thus will refuse any other user's request to go to change mode for the same data. This is also not acceptable as the user forgot to save/discard his work and kept the session in change mode which will prevent someone else to work. If we end that session only, the Lock Entry is not removed unless the user is logged off and the user context is thrown out.

So it is a good practice to Log Off the user totally instead if ending a particular idle session.

Regards,

Dipanjan

fredrik_borlie
Contributor
0 Kudos

At the same time I see your point of closing idling sessions, I also do not see the point of closing them.

Figure your users start the day by starting a report that lists a long list of work items and then they copy from that session into other windows and that "listsession" is idling all day,.

Why should you then kill that session?