cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a stand alone offsite Production system

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to find the best way to setup a stand alone production system at a remote site for disaster recovery. We are running Windows Server 2003 64Bit, SQL 2005 database. Our database size is 80gig.

Our Enviroment consist of Prod (clustered), QA, and Dev boxes.

On my stand alone server called sap-backup can I have an sap instance called PRD, even though I already have this as my production instances? I have read that you can and than I have seen articles saying that you cannot. I am looking at using the SQL mirroring to keep the two databases synced up. Does anyone have a suggestion on a different sync software? If there are changes made in our dev enviroment and eventually transported into production, what is the best procedure on getting these changes to the stand alone server?

Thanks,

Jay M.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Does anyone have a suggestion on a different sync software? If there are changes made in our dev enviroment and eventually transported into production, what is the best procedure on getting these changes to the stand alone server?

This can be done quite easily with the already mentioned log shipping:

Note 965908 - SQL Server Database Mirroring and SAP Applications

Note 1101017 - Log shipping on SQL Server 2005

The second note contains a PDF how to set that up.

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If u r using oracle Database u can use Dataguard Utility. i hope this will solve ur problem.

Thanks

Presu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

>If u r using oracle Database u can use Dataguard Utility. i hope this will solve ur problem.

Could you write real sentences with real words, please. This is against the rules of the forum to use SMS linguo.

As a not native English speaker, your spelling hurts my eyes and I need a special effort to decode your meaning.

"If you are using oracle Database, you can use Dataguard Utility. I hope this will solve your problem."

This so much better ! And it takes only one second longer to type...

Best Regards,

Olivier

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

With MSSQL what you would need is to do Log shipping.

Restore a the MSSQL backup of your production on the standalone system, however do not complete the recovery.

I know this in Oracle, not sure about MSSQL and then keep taking transactional log backups and transfer these transactional log backups to Production backups and apply them.

There is a software from Veritas that allows you to do this automatically, the concept is that the software has a Windows NT Agent for MSSQL which keeps the backup server synchronised with the production server.

http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/symnasmb/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsSmbPage/productID.107498800/...

One of my previous client had this setup.

Regards,

Siddhesh