cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC Lookup's

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am planning to do RFC Scenario, can any one tel me the how to start RFC Lookups,

wat is the diff between rfc adapter and rfc lookups????

is mapping Lookups and rfc lookups are same????

can any one provide me any link how to do stp by step scenario

thanks & Regards

Anil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

santhosh_kumarv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>wat is the diff between rfc adapter and rfc lookups????

RFC adapter is a logical connection to the R/3 system thru with RFC call and data flows.

RFC lookup is a way to hunt for data in R/3 system. The RFC lookup uses RFC adapter to hit the R/3 system.

>>mapping Lookups and rfc lookups are same????

Yes. Mapping look up can be any of the below RFC lookup, Database Lookup. aditionally refer this <a href="/people/alessandro.guarneri/blog/2006/03/27/sap-xi-lookup-api-the-killer XI Lookup API</a> , <a href="/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/08/23/lookup146s-in-xi-made-simpler in XI</a> and <a href="/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/12/21/use-this-crazy-piece-for-any-rfc-mapping-lookups Mapping Lookups</a>.

~SaNv...

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

I did that RFC Look Ups successfully. in two scenarios File RFClookup to File and Soap to RFC LOOKUP to SOAP.

See First I will tell the exact difference between RFC look up and RFC adapter configurations as u asked above.

RFC Adapter::

RFC adapter is a normal scenario here in your case u need to do configuration in this way like 
FILE-->RFC-->FILE I mean 
a) One Sender File Adapter
b) One Receiver RFC and another receiver FILE ADAPTER but two receiver determinations and which is a round way and also this is an old method of doing and you can achive this with and without BPM also It depends upon requirement.

Here you do not came to know the result untill u complete your scenario end to end. Means in RUN time it will picks file and sends data to RFC tables and from there response and also here it needs two message mappings and one Interface mapping.

RFC LOOK UP::

This is a latest concept in PI 7.1 and which instead of doing your scenario in complex way you can easily achive your business requirement in a simple FILE TO FILE scenario which doesn;t need extra ROUTING rules like Receiver and INterface determinations as required as above.

See Steps are mentioned below and since I was not infront of my system and I did this intially stages of 7.1 I am explaining this in Oral way.....

1) All design and configuration steps are normal for FILE to FILE scenario except some extra configurations are to be done in the existing steps
2) Since your RFC is already there First Create Receiver RFC adapter and Receiver adapter thats it no need of receiver determination for RFC
3) While Doing _Message mapping_ in 7.1 go to signature tab and below that one option line is there in that select Simple type as *ADAPTER* and Select your RFC channel and its name and give respective details required.
4) While creating _Operation Mapping_ go to Binding tab and select it and again here give RFC Channel name and select your interface.... and fill respective u can do it easily
5) Remaining all steps are same..
Here only one message mapping is required
While doing Messaage map select your input and output field instead of doing direct map in lookups functions select RFC LOOKUP and double click it and give parameter name there as RFC adapter in simple type and also give details and drag which ever fields needs to come as response and to map to receiver message type if u select 5 instead of 10 fields in RFC response then in RFC LookUP option right side splits into 5  options to map to 5 Receiver fields and since left side I am mapping EMP ID field only.

TESTING::

While Testing u need not wait untill completing end to end simply configuring Receiver RFC adapter then go to MESSAGE MAP->Test TAB--> Parameters tab-->Give RFC channel Name and RFC details again come to same test tab objects field and give values at file side. 
means For EX:: In my case I given EMP ID:: as input and after pressing the executing button I received my EMP details in Receiver Message type in Test environment..

I hope u understand the scenario..

Regards:

Amar Srinivas ELi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Basically lookup in XI is used to call the target data storage system and get data from there to your mapping programme.

In XI you can do Lookup in Message Mapping, Java Mapping and in XSLT Mapping. Previously Lookup in XI was system dependent. But now what ever the system are i.e. SAP system or non-sap system(Oracle,MS SQL etc) lookup API are same.

Overview of Lookup- Lookups are used to identify/request the data from mapping program.

- It interrupt the process and looking for data which was stored in target system.

- It get that data and comeback to process and continue with that data.

Types of Lookups in XI

- JDBC Lookup: JDBC lookup is used for accessing data from database (non SAP).

- RFC Lookup: RFC lookup is used for accessing the SAP Data.

- SOAP Lookup: SOAP lookup is used for accessing data from Webservice

Pls refer the below:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/33/1ec6ced273493a993a80c2301c03da/content.htm

Abid Mazhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Arvind,

Thnx for ur quick responce

can u plz tel me the differences between the above once

wat is the diff between rfc adapter and rfc lookups????

is mapping Lookups and rfc lookups are same????

Former Member
0 Kudos

With the Lookup API you can call remote application systems via adapters during the execution of a mapping program. You can use the Lookup API to read data from the application system or to execute an existing mapping on the application system. The call to the application system is synchronous. Lookups are possible via the central and decentral adapter engine. The Lookup API supports the RFC, JDBC, and SOAP adapter.

If you want to use an adapter of a third party vender, then the adapter must fulfil the following preconditions:

The adapter must support synchronous calls.

The adapter must not use information of a Receiver Agreement.

in 7.1 jdbc and rfc lookups are avail in Graphical mapping directly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

check this

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/33/1ec6ced273493a993a80c2301c03da/content.htm

assume a mapping

legacyOrderNo>RFC LookUP>SAPOrderNumber

through this you get the SAP order number for the legacy order number from the SAP ECC system and map it to the target element. For this you need to have a RFC receiver channel for the corressponding SAP system