cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe created from a Ms Excel sheet --

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Good Morning,

I created One webi report in BO .Now i want to create a universe from MS Excel File .Please tell me step by step Process .

Thanks In Advance

Praveen Kumar Yagnamurthy.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please try the following steps to create a universe on excel file

1. Open the Excel spreadsheet

2. Select all the data values, make sure the remaining blank cells donu2019t get selected

3. Click on Insert>>Name>>Define to give a name to the table

4. Save the Excel

5. Go to Start>>Control Panel>>Administrative tools>Data Sources(ODBC)

6. Select System DSN>>Add>>Microsoft excel Driver(*.xls)

7. Give a new data source name and click on Select workbook and point the saved excel sheet and click on OK

8. Create a new connection in Universe designer by using the Generic ODBC connection

9. Create a new universe and insert the table which we have defined in the Excel sheet

Note:

1. Make sure the parameter <Parameter Name="Transactional Available">No</Parameter> is set to Yes under the Generic ODBC data source in below location

C:\Program Files\Business Objects\Business Objects Enterprise 11.5\win32_x86\dataAccess\connectionServer\odbc\odbc.sbo

2. If you would like to export the excel universe to CMC try these steps on your BO server machine

3. This workaround only works for windows server machine

Regards

Manoj Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help manoj.Its Working

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

I assume that your BOBJ server runs on a windows machine

1. Create an ODBC connection to your Excel sheet on your BOBJ client (where the universe designer runs on)

2. Create an ODBC connection to your Excel sheet on your BOBJ server using the same name for the DSN as in step 1.

3. Start your universe designer and choose to create a new universe. For the connection use the Generic->Generic ODBC driver.

Regards,

Stratos

PPaolo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

as an alternative to step 3, you can create a connectivity in Universe Designer of type: Microsoft/ Excel Spreadsheet/ODBC Drivers.

This driver is slightly different from the generic ODBC one and was developped specifically for Excel.

This driver is available from XI3.0 on.

Best regards

PPaolo