Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation from Scanning to DMS creation

former_member219170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

Is there any link bringing scanning doc. into DMS. What process we are following scanning the doc. in a local file. Then create a DMS & attaching. Then releasing the DMS document. The problems while creating doc. are:

1. We can attach the same file twice

2. There is no control for duplicate chk

Is there any software which will connects the scanning & DMS directly and create DMS doc. automatically. In this process is it possible to read certain data in invoce & enter the same in DMS fields.

Why I am looking this process is we will be doing scanning of 1000docs of various doc. types . In each invoice there will be 20pages. Chances of error will be much in manual process.

Regards,

Sai Krishna

Regards

Sai Krishna

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First off, if you are talking about invoices, DMS is not the place they should be stored, you should check archivelink.

Secondly, there are many scanning intefaces that already cater for scanning of documents to Archivelink, this include Kofax, Open Text, Readsoft etc. Most include duplicate checks.

former_member219170
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Athol,

Thanks for your reply. Our process is as follows:

1. We do scan the vendor invoices

2. Attach the scan document to DMS

3. Process Invoice verification (MIR7) based on this DMS no. We enter this DMS no. in one of the filed. We did screen exit to view the DMS document.

4. Post the the Invoice verification and release the DMS docuemnt.

5. While releasing the DMS docuemnt it will update invoice verification no. in one of characteristics which ssigned to that DMS document.

Still do you recommend to use archivelink.

Regards,

Sai Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Definitely not DMS. There are standard solutions in ArchiveLink that cater for exactly this type of solution.

In ArchiveLink, the document is attached to the transaction and the business process occurs in the transaction rather than document. I.e. if the invoice value is higher than the tolerance, its the Purchase order that has to be approved with its attached document, not the Document itself.

In ArchiveLink the document can be viewed at the same time as the transaction and processed accordingly.

former_member219170
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Athol,

As I don't know much about Archivelink. Can u guide me more about on this. What are usages than DMS. How to proceed and complete the process. Can yopu explain the process in step wise if possible(along with transaction codes). Or else pls. guide me where can I get more details on this.

Regards

Sai Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/5e/566039b85f9443e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Thats the help link for archivelink and probably the best place to start.

former_member219170
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Athol,

I hope in this we need to install a separate content server to store the documents.

In our case we already have one contenent server / SAPHTTP which we are using for DMS. Since it has capacity, we are trying to use the same. after two years we will archive & store in other areas.

In standard Invoice verification we don't have option of viewing DMS document for which we use screen exit.

For this DMS document type we added certain characteristics since I want to add new fields there by we use these filds furher processing.

Can I know what are all benefits with archivelink compare to DMS.

Regards,

Sai Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can create more than one logical repository on the same content server for different storage areas.

In standard invoice verification, archivelink is supposed to be used which is why there is no option for DMS.

You can add characteristics to the workflow tasks that you are using the workflow the document around, its not necessary to have classification to do this. Alternatively, you could use a ztable.

In reality, very few of the professional accounts payable solutions use DMS, or none of the high end ones. If you want to create a good AP solution then you should be using archivelink.

Answers (0)