Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e-mail server could not be reached when system was trying to send message

former_member945471
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have done the settings for mail transport. The same worked fine on development and QA. However, on production, the same settings do not seem to be working I receive message 'The e-mail server could not be reached when the system was trying to send the message', when mail is being sent out.

The settings is as follows:

1. Activate Mailing Service by going to

System Administration à System Configuration à Knowledge Management à Content Management à Mailing Service.

Ensure Active check box is selected.

2. Create System Alias by going to

System Administration à System Configuration à System Landscape

Go to content area.

Portal Content à Content Provided By SAP à Collaboration and right click.

Select New from PAR à System.

Choose the iview com.sap.netweaver.coll.app.gw and hit next button. Select Java_Mail option and hit next button. Enter appropriate System Name and ID and hit next button. Hit finsh button and open object for editing.

Select System Aliases from display option and add an alias for the system. Save changes.

3. Create Mail Transport by going to

System Administration à System Configuration à Knowledge Management à Collaboration.

Click Groupware Transports in content area.

Select Mail Transport on next screen.

Click New button and create new mail transport definition.

Give SMTP server being used in organisation, Inbox for ‘Sent messages folder’, and give

system alias created in step 2 as alias.

4. Mail channel server too has been set up.

Thanks and regards,

Arun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Make sure that the mail server's firewall between the portal server and the mail server allows the messages to pass through it.

I think the portal sends the messages but the messages are not reaching the mail server because of firewall or some other network restrictions.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am trying to setup my SMTP mail in WAS7.0 SP4, my motto is to use this setting to send mail out from CAF GP (Approval Form).

I have given SMTP setting at

System Administration à System Configuration à Collaboration à Groupware Transports

System Administration à Universal Worklist & Workflow à workflow à Mail

Please tell me am in the correct part of configuration of mail or is that any other place to set configurations?

As our friend (Arun) mentioned in his first thread to activate Mailing Service, i couldnt see this setting in my WAS7.0.

+1. Activate Mailing Service by going to

System Administration à System Configuration à Knowledge Management à Content Management à Mailing Service.

Ensure Active check box is selected.+

Is there any other settings i am missing?

The error my CAF GP giving is "The system failed to send an e-mail notification to "

Your help is highly Applauded

Thanks! in advance.

Regards,

Kishore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kishore.

ex) in WAS7.0. SPS12.

1. Activate Mailing Service by going to

System Administration -> System Configuration -> Knowledge Management -> Content Management -> Global Services -> Mailing Service (Click the Hide Advanced Options link) .

Regards,

Seot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Did you able to resolve your problem. If yes, can you please help me on the same. I'm also getting same error while sending an e-mail.

Thanks in advance,

Ganpati Jha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

I think the port 25 on your Smtp server is blocked.

Please telnet port 25 from portal to smtp server and check if the portal is able to reach the smtp server.

If not request the Support guys to open up the port after which everything should be normal

Hope this helps

Ajey

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

I guess you need a restart of the cluster, for getting the mail transport working.

Thanks,

Samta

former_member945471
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Samta,

I have restarted portal after the settings were made.

Are you referring to something different, when you say restart cluster?

Please advise.

Thanks and regarsd,

Arun