cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does anyone provide connection to SAP sys. thru SolMan other than for SAP?

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

I have had staff ask IF there are issues with having 'off shore' consultants log into our landscape thru SolMan?

My preference would be NOT to, as we have we would be generating long distance charges as well as the connections tend to time out during a period that they are not in use.

I believe this connection was meant to only have SAP log in to our systems for the purpose of trouble shooting issues for messages

Anyone? please advise

Thanks& Regards,

Maria

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have setup Trusted RFC's to your Satellite Systems there's no need not to use these connection to logon remote. Even better, when you have setup the workcenters in SolMan, you should be able to admin your satellite systems through SolMan. Just make sure there are identical users on both SolMan and Satellite Systems with ZS_RFCACL role assigned.

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks David,

However we have not made exentsive configurations in SolMan yet. All we have done is configured the ability to approved and dowload support patches.

Having said that,

Is it best practice to allow 'off shore' consultants to log into our SAP landscape thru SolMan?

BTW, I am not familiar with work centers, would you mind explaining a bit?

thanks,

Maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think it depends on what you want your offshore consultants to do in your systems.

If they have all access on the remote systems and on your SolMan, it doesn't really matter how they logon, wether it is using a gui or using the remote connections in SolMan.

They have the same authorities.

So, a best practice...... It's all up to your own wishes.

All I know is SAP suggests that you administrate all your systems from Solution Manager.

1 Access point to all systems. And when setup properly, you only need to logon once.

From a technical point of view, I'd recommend setting it up.

As far as the workcenters are concerned, these are webdynpro pages.

They do exactly the same as the "normal" ABAP transactions. It only looks a bit more user-friendly.

Plus the oversight is better. The content of the tabbed areas is logically grouped.

Read the following document, might be helpfull

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/80f23fae-d7e2-2a10-34b5-f049d65d...

Regards,

David

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

There is one issue, that if the off shore consultants log into SAP via SolMan, then of course the configuration for work centres need to be set up correct?

AND,

would I need to open the connection to SolMan and as well as the connection they need to log into?

just like I do for SAP consultants? If this is the case, then we would be generating long distance charges for us. And I guess this is the part that is undesirable.

As far as work centres are concerned, this sound like another path for staff / consultants to get into SAP? and a VPN connection would still be required , which is the problem, they want to avoid the VPN connection and connect just like SAP does ... which I am not certain how that is done on the SAP side, all I am familiar with , is that we open the connection (router) and then SAP has access to our systems (of course we have limited which systems thru ACL)

Having said that, does it make sense that the consultants want to log thru SolMan to other SAP systems , just like SAP does.

Maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Configuring WorkCenters isn't hard, all you need to do is assign the right authorizations.

After that, you make it the starting transaction for your off shore consultants.

They log on to SAP using a normal SAP GUI.

After they have been authenticated they are automatically transferred to the transaction SOLMAN_WORKCENTER.

It's just an easier way of navigating.

You are not obliged to use it.

Answers (0)