cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices for EHP

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI all,

We have upgraded the client system from 4.7 to 6 .Now we are in the process of appyling EHP's.We also want to go for AS java.So we wanted the best practise and recomended procedure by SAP.If we want to go for EHP 3 ,So we should we go for java add in now or after going to EHP3 .Where can i find the best practices.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I believe First you have to go for EHP then you can install java add-in on the same.

-Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

A small correction in the scenario .We have ERP 6.0 with EHP 3 installed .We want to go for EHP4 but the problem is that in EHP4 java add in installation is not supported by SAP .So is java add in supported in EHP3.I wanted to know this.?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't know if it's supported but I would advice you to avoid installing Java as an add-in for SAP ECC6.

You would put too much risks and dependencies in your back end system.

It's much better to install the java stack as a completely independent instance even if it is on the same hardware host.

SAP now officially advices separate stacks intallations except for SOLMAN and PI.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Olivier ,

Thanks a lot .But i wanted to know specifically whether sap supports java add in or not ERP 6.0 with EHP 3 ....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Specifically for EHP3, I don't know. The last info I had about java add-in for ECC6 was that it was supported but not a best practice.

If you really want to be sure, ask SAP with an OSS message.

In my company, we have installed the java stack as an add-in in BI 7.0 and we do regret it.

We had one BI abap system destroyed because of an error when applying Java support packages.

In my opinion the Business data stored in the ECC6 abap stack is much too critical to take the risk to destroy it with an error on the java stack... There will be a different truth for each different SAP customer...

Best Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Olivier ,

Thanks a million so this means that we need to go for a standalone java stack.Suppose if we go for that how do we make sure that the ABAP and JAVA are at the same level means abap is at ehp 4 so how do we make sure that java is also at ehp4.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you choose to install a seperate Java stack, I don't think it will make any difference in the installation of EHP4. But I've not done it yet...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

As told by you add in java is not a feasible option so we will have to go for a standalone java stack .We have ERP 6.0 as of now that is abap.If we have to go for java means we will have to go for netweaver 2004s only java stack.Is it right?and one more thing how do we ensure that the abap ehp4 and java ehp4 are at the same level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

For netweaver 2004s java we dont have a ehp4 we have only ehp1 so how do we ensure that both abap and java are at the same levels.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with Olivier's straightforward assessment. SAP now develops and publishes recommended deployment options -- including the single and dual stack scenario -- on SDN at https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/landscapedesign -> Deployment Options.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have to choose between dualstack or seperate stacks. Both are technically possible.

I gave you my personal opinion which is to keep abap and java separate but you have to make your own mind wthe your company specific requirements that I absolutely don't know.

>For netweaver 2004s java we dont have a ehp4 we have only ehp1 so how do we ensure that both abap >and java are at the same levels.

The only answer is that it is your job to know what you do in your systems. There is no automatic safety net...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

The obvious choice would be to go for a seperate stacks.We dont want to risk a customer data .One more thing i wanted to know is that when we go for EHP4 for ERP 6.0 does that mean that the netweaver is at EHP 1.We dont need to do explicitly i presume.PLease correct me if i am wrong .

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member187565
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

In Service market place->download->sap installation & upgrade ->Installation and Upgrade Guides->

SAP Business Suite Applications->sap erp->sap erp 6.0->ehp

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

There the guides are there but what i wanted to know is that as of now we have only abap 6.Now we want to go for java add in should we go now or else after EHP 4 we should go for a java add in .

Former Member
0 Kudos

When we go for a java add in then after if we go for a java add in can we get the abap and java at the same levels.