cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access portal with IP address instead of Server Name?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Can any one help me to acces portal using IP address instead of servername. If i access portal using http://servername every thing is working fine. But if i access using http://serverip i am getting login page, after loing page i am getting masthead too. But i am getting once login page when i try to access any webdynpro application.

Do i have to do any setting to access the portal using ip address?

Regds,

Nivas.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nivas,

Have u done the user mapping for the local system?

Regards,

Ami.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why do you want to access the portal server through the IP?

The portal server should be accessed via the fully qualified domain name of the server. The reason is:the SAP logon ticket is stored as a cookie in the browser. It is a feature of cookies that they are only sent back to the domain that set them. That's to protect your privacy by making it harder to track your browsing across different websites. Without an FQDN in the request, the browser can't tell what servers to send the cookie to, so it won't send it to anyone. This is why you are getting the login page again while accessing a webdynpro application.

Regards,

Satyajit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are two types users accessing this portal. If Vendors acces this portal, they have to get login page with vendor theme. If customers logs in they have to get login page with customer theme. To differentiate at the login page level, we would like to give access via ip addres to Vendors and through servername to Customers. Eventually we would like to have two different domains registered (for eg www.custportal.com www.vendportal.com).

Could you please help me on this?

Regds,

Nivas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nivas,

Until the users login how are you going to know whether they are vendors or customers accessing your portal.

You can have this feature that when the user that logs in is a vendor then a different theme is available for him & when a customer logins a different theme is available.

But u cant distinguish a user without he/she logging in & correspondingly display different login screens.

Thanks,

Samta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nivas,

Is your problem resolved ?

Thanks,

Samta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the same problem as Nivas. Only we don't have Vendors trying to log in, but employees at client sites, therefore they will be accessing the portal from the internet.

For this, company policy is forcing us to use a DNS alias, rather than the computer name with FQDN. Now what happens is that the DNS server returns an IP for the DNS entry and therefore all Webdynpro apps asks for another login.

Is there no way to create a DNS entry to return a FQDN instead of an IP or for the portal to convert a IP to the FQDN?

What is SAP's proposed strategy for Internet Portals? Surely not to reveal you computernames!

I have read the setting up the Portal with Kerberos for SSO, you can use DNS aliases, but I fail to understand how this would work.

Any help please!