cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find support stack version of an existing system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have installed ECC 6 , NW04s on Win 2003. I would like to know what my current support stack version is?

Also, what selections should I make on the sap sownload page in order to download the java support stack? I can download the ABAP stack (.SAR) but I don't know from where to download Java stack (.SCA).

Thanks

SMULH

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To check the stack you need to go to menu System>status>Component information.

The archive format of a Java Support Package is the SCA file. An SCA file contains several SDA files.

You can download all these patches from http://service.sap.com/sp-stacks.

Here give your source stack level & target stack level. The Source Stack is not mandatory so if you do not know it, leave the field empty

Application Server ABAP

Application Server Java

Enterprise Portal

Business Intelligence etc & then click on next step

it will show all pacthes(ABAP+java). You can download from here.

The SP Stacks are sets of Support Packages and patches for the respective product version that must be used in the given combination. SAP recommends regular application of these SP Stacks. The technology for applying Support Packages and patches will not change. SP Stacks should be seen as an entity in themselves u2013 customers must heed the minimum requirements and dependencies between individual components, and apply the Support Packages and patches specified in the SP Stack together.

911032 FAQ - SAP Support Package Stack Download

879289 Support Package Stack Guide - SAP NetWeaver 7.0

Let me know if you still need any information.

Thanks

Sushil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sushil for the reply.

System>status>Component information: shows me only the support package number of each of the components. What I need is the support stack version I'm currently at (eg: stack 10 or 11 or 12). I need this so that I can download the correct support stack to upgrade my system.

Also, I don't see Java stack on http://service.sap.com/sp-stacks.

What I see is the following screenshot that has target and source stack and usage selection. I don't see the Application Server Java that you mentioned. Can you send me the screenshot or the exact navigation to download the Java stack?

Thanks

Target Stack 15 (02/2009)14 (11/2008)13 (06/2008)12 (03/2008)11 (12/2007)10 (07/2007)09 (05/2007)08 (03/2007) Show Stack Information

Source Stack 14 (11/2008)13 (06/2008)12 (03/2008)11 (12/2007)10 (07/2007)09 (05/2007)08 (03/2007)07 (12/2006)06 (09/2006)05 (06/2006)04 (04/2006)03 (02/2006)02 (12/2005)01 (10/2005) Show Stack Information

Restrict according to Usage

Usage Selection

ERP Central Component (ECC) XI Content

Strategic Enterprise Mgmt Self Services

Supplier Relationship Mgmt Extended E-Commerce Components

Financial Supply Chain Mgmt cProject Suite

E-Recruiting Learning Solution

Process Integration (XI) Workforce Mgmt Core

Business Intelligence Portal Content

Enterprise Portal Easy Document Management

EP Core Mobile Infrastructure

Former Member
0 Kudos

you have to check your stack level on marketplace (as per your Basis SP patch level)

Like you select the source or destination stack level on marketplace, there on right hand side, button for info is there i.e. that info will tell you what is the 'Basis patch level' for the stack level which you did put in the target stack or source stack 'text field'

So try hit n trial for stack level 13, 14 etc to see what is the Basis level in those stacks. and accordingly compare that basis level with the current basis level of your SAP system.

If your current Basis patch level is 16 (for example), then it's doesn't mean that your current ABAP stack level is also 16. Like if you see the ABAP stack 15 on marketplace and see it's info page, it will show you that it contains Basis patch level of '18'. Means, if you will upgrade your ABAP stack to 15, then your Basis patch level will increase from current to 18 in one go.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bhudev for the reply. It was helpful.

My current BASIS level is 9, comparing it to the marketplace stack information I conclude I'm at ABAP Stack 6. However my current kernel level is 111 whereas in ABAP stack 6 I see that the kernel level is 75.

Why my kernel level doesn't match with Stack 6 kernel level? Please note I installed ECC 6 from the SAP media and haven't applied any update e.t.c. after installing. Does that mean that the media I installed from has Stack 6 but kernel 111?

Now coming to the Java stack, how can I get the Java stack level for my current system?

I cannot see the Java stack download option in marketplace, I don't know why? All I see is what I mentioned in my previous note. I can download the ABAP stack though. Is it something to do with the "restrict usage" checkbox on the stack download page?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Current Java Stack can be seen in JSPM tool, run go script in j2ee/admin directory, for usage see below links and keep this Note Note 884537 - Benefit and use of the Support Package Stack XML handy

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/1f/c45b4211aac353e10000000a1550b0/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/87/4797422930c56ae10000000a155106/content.htm

To download the Java Stack, you have to select NW04 in the sp-stacks download page and then select enteprise portal and then select webas java..

however, one query from you, which components did you install in NW installation ?

and for ABAP stack, yes you are right, kernel 75 is the minimum requirement if we want to implement stack 06 on an existing installation. But during installation, the dvd/software which you used, was containing the kernel 111. Like the current highest stack available is 15 for ECC abap which will include the kernel 185 files during download and then you must upgrade the kernel patch level to 185 before upgrading the sp stack to 15

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I can run JSPM however, it only shows the support package number of the various components not the stack number.

How can I find which stack number I'm currently at ? (same question as I asked for ABAP stack)

I'm a little confused, you asked me to donwload Java stack by navigating to NW7 --> select support stack --> select EP. Won't this download the Java Stack for EP? I need the Java Stack for ECC6.

Is the java stack for EP same as the java stack for ECC6?

You asked me about components I installed in NW, I only installed ECC6 I did not install NW. I believe as part of ECC6 installation it installed NW.

Thanks

SMULH

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For ECC6, you select

Support Packages and Patches -> SAP Application Components -> SAP ERP -> SAP ERP 6.0 -> support package stack

In the Java home page, http://<hostname>:5<nr>00..check which components you've to update. accordingly you've to download the SCA files.

Regards,

Debasis.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Debasis for the reply.

I do not want to update theb Java components (atleast for now).

I just need to know what my Java stack version is?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Syed

You can check the current stack of JAVA version by going to the link:

http://<full domain name of your companyserver.com>:<port>/sap/monitoring/SystemInfo

Just check the current stack of JAVA here

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rohit.

I received the following message when I enter the URL you mentioned:

Dispatcher running but no server connected!

Details: No details available

Please advise.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just check first whether the Java Stack up or not, try to use jcmon

as sidadm, run jcmon pf=<profile path for java stack profile> and check the server processes are running or not

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/d3/4d074147c1f06fe10000000a1550b0/content.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Subbarao.

I checked server process using jcmon and found it is not running.

Here is the last few lines of the trace dev_server0:

[Thr 7436] JLaunchIExitJava: exit hook is called (rc = -11113)

[Thr 7436] **********************************************************************

• ERROR => The Java VM terminated with a non-zero exit code.

• Please see SAP Note 943602 , section 'J2EE Engine exit codes'

• for additional information and trouble shooting.

[Thr 7436] JLaunchCloseProgram: good bye (exitcode = -11113)

I checked note 943602 and the note that it refers to but couldn't find anyting helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Syed

the rc = -11113 is an evidence that probably the user SAPJSF ist locked. Take a look in the ABAP Stack. The client should be the default 001. If it is not the 001 start the configtool (configtool.bat) in sapmnt\<SID>\DVEBMGS<instnr>\j2ee\configtool. The parameter

ume.r3.connection.master.client contains the client.

If yqu had unlock the SAPJSF start the J2EE Engine. There are a few method e.g. go in the T-Code SMICM --> administration --> J2EE (Cluster) --> Restart or start the SAPMC via browser http://<yourservername>:5<instanznr>13 --> right mouse on Java and restart or start the MMC on the Desktop of your Server --> Instanznr. --> AS JAVA Process Table --> right mouse on server0 --> Enable.

If the Java Stack is up you can look in the Systeminfo like Debasis Sahoo described or start the JSPM to see the SP-Stack Version.

Edited by: Denis Stricker on Jul 22, 2009 3:50 PM

Edited by: Denis Stricker on Jul 22, 2009 3:51 PM

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Inorder to get a much more detailed explanation on the error can you paste the std_server0.out which

is present under the work directory.

Regards,

Sangeetha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Denis, Hemant and Sangeetha for your replies.

I have removed the previous ECC installation and re-installed it fresh. I no longer have the error log files for troubleshooting.

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Syed,

Good to know that you're not getting the same error again. but from the error log of java it lookd like that it was related to JVM. and the java JVM issue in Windows operating system most of the time occurs because of the wrong JVM parameters set.

In such cases, you can at first point check Note 723909 and then change the parameters accordingly.

If nothing helps, then you can always restart Windows Operating system itself to flush the memory. It strangely solves most of the memory issues - but true.

Best Regards,

Debasis.

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Syed,

To find the exact error, have a look at the default trace at the exact time when you saw the error in the dev_server0 file:

/usr/sap/<SID>/JC<nr>/j2ee/cluster/server0/logs/default trace (latest).

You will get the exact error.

Kind regards,

Hemanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you need to give al required information in below link & make sure you choose Application Server Java

http://service.sap.com/sp-stacks.

Here give your source stack level & target stack level. The Source Stack is not mandatory so if you do not know it, leave the field empty .

To find your present stack System>status>Component information. Suppose your ABAP, Basis SP level is 14 then 14 is your present sp-stack level.

Hope it is clear now.

Thanks,

Sushil