cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 10g Installation on HP_UX B.11.31 system, OUI Screen is not Coming .

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Friend,

I am facing one silly problem but not able to solve it.

I am doing SAP Installation over HP_UX B.11.31 system (IA64). I am using xmanager to do all installation activities over Server. I am able to start SAPInst, after setting DISPLAY variable (export DISPLAY=10.10.2.22:0.0) normally. Right now, SAPInst has prompted me to install Oracle Database Software in mid of Installation.

I have issued following commands as a preparation to install Oracle: (got reference to start .RUNINSTALLER from this [Link|; )

# export DISPLAY=10.10.2.22:0.0
#xhost +
#su - oraed1
$export DISPLAY=10.10.2.22:0.0
$export ORACLE_SID=ED1
$export ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/ED1/102_64
$cd /oracle/stage/102_64/database/SAP
$./RUNINSTALLER -ignoreSysPrereqs

Here, 10.10.2.22 is the IP address of Local Client where OUI screen need to be display.

I also have gone through the following SAP Notes and acted accordingly which is required.

Note 819830 - Oracle Database 10g: Additional Information on upgrade:UNIX

Note 980426 - Oracle 10.2 Software installation on new operating systems

Note 831006 - Oracle installation on HP-UX 11.23 and 11.31

Now, The Problem is that, i have started the ./RUNINSTALLER...but its not giving OUI screen since long time. "All Installer Requirements met" message is there while starting RUNINSTALLER .. .

Its only showing "Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall.....'Please wait....

But, the OUI Screen is not coming up.

What would be the problem ?

Whether I am missing any step or doing wrong steps before starting ./RUNINSTALLER

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> $export ORACLE_SID=ED1

> $export ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/ED1/102_64

Do not do that, this is usually be done by the environment settings for ora<SID>.

Did you start sapinst before? On Unix systems the database is not installed before the central instance is installed.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I am performing Heterogeneous System Copy (Migration) on target system (HP_UX & Oracle 10g).

So, as a part of the System copy , SAPinst is paused/stopped at "Intall Oracle Database Software" stage, and telling to install Oracle using ORA<SID> user and follow so an so procedure and then Press Ok.

We are installing Oracle 10g in mid of the Installation/System Copy Process. So, i just have followed those steps to start ./RUNINSTALLER.

But, the OUI screen is not coming up, even though all perquisites of the Installer are checked correctly. The Process is hanging and First screen of OUI is not coming, after waiting to long time. I have checked its installation log, which is created under /tmp/OraInstall*.... But, there is not a single clue of error is found there.

I did the same migration process on SUSE Linux 10, that time it worked normally ,after following those steps to start the ./RUNINSTALLER.

I am not understanding , why its not coming up on HP_UX system ?

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ,

IN the display variable why dont you give the hostname and is the port number right?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am performing Heterogeneous System Copy (Migration) on target system (HP_UX & Oracle 10g).

> So, as a part of the System copy , SAPinst is paused/stopped at "Intall Oracle Database Software" stage, and telling to install Oracle using ORA<SID> user and follow so an so procedure and then Press Ok.

>

> We are installing Oracle 10g in mid of the Installation/System Copy Process. So, i just have followed those steps to start ./RUNINSTALLER.

Good!

> But, the OUI screen is not coming up, even though all perquisites of the Installer are checked correctly. The Process is hanging and First screen of OUI is not coming, after waiting to long time. I have checked its installation log, which is created under /tmp/OraInstall*.... But, there is not a single clue of error is found there.

Can you open another X program (such as xclock) at the time you start RUNINSTALLER? If not, then the problem may be you X server on your PC. Does it accept all connections?

Markus

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

I already tested for this by running "xclock" program. The Clock is displayed promptly.

I am sending some use ful information , that describes my trail-&-error.

Trial-1.

QASRV:oraeq1 36> xclock
QASRV:oraeq1 37> ./RUNINSTALLER -ignoreSysPrereqs 
oracle_stage is not set (OK)
oracle_base is not set (OK)
oracle_home is not set (OK)
oracle_sid is not set (OK)
oracle_home_name is not set (OK)
oracle_inst_group is not set (OK)
from_location is not set (OK)
tmp_netca_file is not set (OK)
tmp_dbca_file is not set (OK)
Working in /oracle/stage/102_64/database/SAP ...
Oracle SID:            EQ1
Oracle Home:           /oracle/EQ1/102_64
Oracle Home Name:      EQ1_102_64
Oracle Install Group:  dba
Installing from:       /oracle/stage/102_64/database/stage/products.xml
oracle_stage="/oracle/stage/102_64"
oracle_base="/oracle"
oracle_version="102_64"
oracle_home="/oracle/EQ1/102_64"
oracle_sid="EQ1"
oracle_home_name="EQ1_102_64"
oracle_inst_group="dba"
from_location="/oracle/stage/102_64/database/stage/products.xml"
tmp_netca_file="/tmp/.orainst_netca.7758"
tmp_dbca_file="/tmp/.orainst_dbca.7758"
ORACLE_BASE="/oracle"
ORACLE_HOME="/oracle/EQ1/102_64"
================================
Preparing response files. Please wait:
======================================
Working on /oracle/stage/102_64/database/SAP/SVRCUSTOM.RSP
/oracle/stage/102_64/database/SAP/SVRCUSTOM.RSP --> /tmp/.orainst_rsp.7758: Done
Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking installer requirements...

Checking operating system version: must be B.11.31.    Actual B.11.31
                                      Passed

All installer requirements met.

Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2009-05-26_07-42-07PM. Please wait ...QASRV:oraeq1 38> Oracle Universal Installer, Version 10.2.0.1.0 Production
Copyright (C) 1999, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

QASRV:oraeq1 38>

Still, the OUI screen is not coming up.

Trial-2

I also tried in other way, by opening exclusinve sesion of ora<sid> user. And try to do same activity. But, still OUI is not coming up.

Here, Please, you do not bother about ora<sid>.

Trial-3

I tried in other way, also.

Like this.....

I tried to run the typical runInstaller of Oracle (/oracle/stage/102_64/database/runInstaller.sh), with the last response file, which is generated by ./RUNINSTALLER (/oracle/stage/102_64/database/RUNINSTALLER.sh), but its giving the same response and OUI is not coming up.

./runinstaller -responseFile /tmp/.orainst.rsp.7758 -force

Trial-4

I also tried to install Oracle independently using that last fenerated Response file, in silent mode (non-interactive mode). But, its also hanged without giveng any clues of interruption. I also checked its "InstallActions*****" log file to check for the error. But, nothing was disclosed.

./runInstaller -silent -ignoreSysPrereqs -responseFile /tmp/.orainst.rsp.7758 -force

I am waiting for your valuable suggestions.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

./runInstaller -silent -ignoreSysPrereqs -responseFile /tmp/.orainst.rsp.7758 -force

Was that OS updated to 11.31 or freshly installed?

I found Metalink 780102.1 which suggest trying to use the OS java instead of the Oracle delivered Java:

/runInstaller -jreLoc /opt/java1.4 -silent -ignoreSysPrereqs -responseFile /tmp/.orainst.rsp.7758 -force

Does that work?

Markus

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Great............Cheers up..

Your suggestion worked successfully.

supplying -jreLoc /opt/java1.4 along with ./runInstaller worked.

The problem was with jre, with which the ./RUNINSTALLER was invoking.

Now, the OUI screen is come up , while applying Patchset as a Post Installation Task by follwing that trick.

Thank you very mch.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> The problem was with jre, with which the ./RUNINSTALLER was invoking.

>

> Now, the OUI screen is come up , while applying Patchset as a Post Installation Task by follwing that trick.

Still make sure you use the response file instead of a "manual" installation.

Markus

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

This Problem is solved in this way.

1. I just have executed ./RUNINSTALLER (/oracle/stage/102_64/database/SAP/) normally to generate SAP Installation specific response file. (Here, the SAP Foldeer was generated as a run of SAPInst)

2. As usual the ./RUNINSTALLER or ./runInstaller (/oracle/stage/102_64/database/), did not start, and OUI screen did not come. Because, both installer was using Oracle's working java, for installation.

Both installer was using JRE executables located at /tmp/OraInstall2009-05-26_08-31-55PM/jre/1.4.2/bin/java as a default, for Oracle Installtion. So, due to dependency , OUI screen was not coming up.

3. So, the problem was that of JAVA. so, as per as Markus's suggestion, i used OS dependent java. So, I started installation by supplying jreLoc as additional parameter with the installer.

./runInstaller -jreLoc /opt/java1.4 -silent -ignoreSysPrereqs -responseFile /tmp/.orainst.rsp.7758 -force

This promptly worked and the Silent Successful installation of Oracle.

4. After, that as a part of Post Installation, I started to apply Letest Patch Set.

I started ./runInstaller of that patchset in this way, and it worked and gave OUI screen promptly.

./runInstaller -jreLoc /opt/java1.4

I did All these acivities as ora<dbsid> user.

Great Markus.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bhavik,

you will have to login as ora<sid> in a new session and start Oracle installation from there

dont do su - <sid>adm and the start Oracle installation as you will face the issue you mentioned below

Let me know if this helps

Rohit