Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode conversion on a EHP4 system

venu_katamneni
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are running a ERP 6.0 system and are planning to perform the Support pack upgrade to EHP4 as well as the unicode conversion in one single downtime. We have upgraded to EHP4 and are proceeding to convert the system to unicode. Can we use the SAPINST executable that is part of a netweaver 7.0 BASIS CD and proceed? I have not seen any restrictions but saw several suggestions to use the latest executable from the latest installation package. Can somebody please answer? Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would recommend to use the DVD outlined in the system copy guide

(see http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000659894&; --> System copy)

--> Installation Master DVD

Although the content might be the same as on the netweaver 7.0 CD, you would be on the save side.

Regarding the executables you should go for the latest ones when starting the project.

However once you have reached a stable conversion status, I would recommend to stay on this level.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

venu_katamneni
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Nils. I just have a quick question to gather your opinion on combining the efforts of the EHP installation + Unicode conversion in the same downtime. I knowthe EHPI process is new but I just want to get your expert opinion on combining the unicode conversion with the support pack+EHP application in one exercise (during the same downtime). Please let me know. Thanks.

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I assume you have a single code page system ?

Then you can consider that the resulting downtime will be the sum of the downtime for EhP-Upgrade and the Unicode conversion.

For the EhP upgrade I do not have any experiences, but for the Unicode conversion please have a look at:

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000380759&_OBJECT=011000358700003008512003E

Due to the fact that the downtime is influenced by multiple factors, it is difficult to give any estimation. SAP note 857081 might help ...

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

venu_katamneni
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok. understood. I am also trying to get a grasp on how to do the Unicode prep work ahead of time and then do the support packs (+ EHPs now). Is the PREP valid or do we have to do the PREP work again and then proceed to the Unicode conversion. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Depends on the steps. There are some steps like e.g. deleting obsolete data, which can be done in advance and which do not need to be repeated. But then there are other steps which need to run right before the Unicode conversion like creating the Unicode nametab.

0 Kudos

Hi Nils,

Thanks for the response. As I am going through the preparation right now, I just wanted to ask you a quick question. We had initially run the cluster check job (ran for 4 days straight) before the EHPs were installed. Once we are finished with the EHPI donwtime process, I still see the checks are valid. But, do you see a reason for them to be re-run?

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP note 1348055 describes the cluster check.

Obviously this check cannot be run during downtime in your case, since it takes too long on your system.

However as you can see in the note, ("The program R3load terminates with an error during the code page conversion if it recognizes an initial cluster record.") you will notice the initial cluster record at the latest, if r3load cancels.

Therefore even in a Unicode conversion project without EhPs, customers need to run the job in advance (during uptime), and there is always the chance that such records are created after the job is finished.

I am not sure about the probability that the EhPs insert such records (my personal opinion is that it is rather low) ...

If you want to be on the save side, then you can run the cluster check on a sandbox system right after Ehps have been applied ...

On the PRD system it is pretty clear that this job cannot be repeated (due to downtime restrictions).

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

0 Kudos

Yes, I completely agree with you.