cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid backdated postings??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I am about to upload legacy data and create CN and RU into my system. I want the contracts to be uploaded with their real validity dates, which obviously are in the past, and at the same time, to start performing periodic posting from June 2009. The costs for these contracts have already been manually posted in FI up until May 2009.

I thought i could use the "first posting date" to handle this and it worked fine for the first posting i performed. For example, if my contract start date is 01.11.2006 and my first posting date is 01.06.2009, the first time i perform postings, the system posts only one month cost, which is what i want. But then, if i change something on the condition - for example the price, the system backdates and calculates the difference dating from 01.11.2006 - it totally ignores my "valid from" date on the condition tab and calculates the correction from 01.11.2006.

Is there somewhere in SPRO a validity check setting or something that i could activate to deal with it.

Any help would be appreciated

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

franz_posch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

this is due to the functionality of the first posting date.

What's the reason behind this?

Assume you have made a legacy data transfer and all postings before 1.6.2009 where made in the old system. Therefore you set the first posting date to 1.6.2009 and then activate the contract. Cash flow positions before 1.6.2009 are generated as "already posted" because these postings are already done in the old system.

Afterwards you change a condition. This change is done after data take over and therefore obviously also not posted in the old system. Therefore the change must lead to follow-up postings also for postings before 1.6.2009.

What can you do?

- If the change of the condition is not retroactive you should insert a new condition position with the valid-from-date.

- If you have to change the conditions of the contract after data take over and this should not lead to follow-up postings (maybe because of correction of data) you have to first deactivate the contract. Then you can do changes that do not lead to follow-up postings. This of course does only work if you haven't done postings for this contract.

I hope that my explanations are helpful for you.

Regards, Franz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Franz,

Thank you so much for the detailed answer.

I agree that the normal logic would be the system to take into account the changes for the conditions from before 01.06.2009 and after then. My problem is that it also plannes to post the records "already posted" in the old system - not only the delta for them.

Your second suggestion would be helpful in case my legacy data upload doesnt work well for all of my contracts and i have to make corrections for some of them.

Thanks,

Severina

franz_posch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Severina,

please have a look at the cash flow items before you do the change of the condition. Items before

1.9.2009 should have the status "already posted".

example:

cash flow

1.8.2009 100,00 already posted

1.9.2009 100,00 planned

contract is activated.

When you change the condition retroactive to 110,00 cash flow should look like this:

1.8.2009 100,00 already posted

1.8.2009 10,00 planned

1.9.2009 110,00 planned

Please describe in detail if the system behaviour you are facing is different.

Regards,

Franz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Franz,

Sorry my mistake. The system behaves exactly as you described in your example.

The issue is that when i change current condition i don`t have an option to determine the start date of the change. In this case, i will use always new follow up condition due to increase/decrease where i can put First Posting Date.

Sorry for misleading you, the second solution works fine with me.

Severina

Answers (0)