Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pros and cons of different methods in lsmw?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to prepare a document on pros and cons of different methods in lsmw can anyboday have some idea regarding this ? I know the steps of uploading data by the four methods in LSMW .

Thanks & Regards,

Ruchi Tiwari

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ruchi,

Pros:

1. This is the fastest way to upload a data than bdc since der is no need to develop programs.

2. It also includes diff practices to upload data i.e. by importing program.recording,IDOCs & BAPIs.

3. Can manipulate the data before uploading and after importing it from legacy system.Can write ABAP code,prefixing,suffixing,Putting initial anf constant value.

Cons:

1. In normal BDC we can restrict the execution of recording depending on user conditions and requirements but in LSMW recording runs for all the entries passed i.e. u can not skip any.

2. You can not use all the Methods provided in a Business object through LSMW.It only allows those methods for which "ALE message type" exists.

eg. For Bu. obj. BUS4001 only method "SAVEREPLICA" is accessible & not any other as "ALE message type" exists for it holding value ADRMAS.

regards,

ajit.

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are four Modes of Data Transfer :

Standard/ Batch Input : Standard upload Programs

Batch Input Recording : Here you can create a recording of your own and use it to upload / change data

BAPIs : Standard BAPIs are used to upload Data

IDOCs : Any Inbound IDOC function modules can be used to process the data

Based on the requirement we try to find a suitable method to be processed. If it is a standard Master we can find it in the first method, Otherwise we try to use BAPIs or Idocs. If the requirement is a very custom one we use a recording to process the data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ruchi,

Pros:

1. This is the fastest way to upload a data than bdc since der is no need to develop programs.

2. It also includes diff practices to upload data i.e. by importing program.recording,IDOCs & BAPIs.

3. Can manipulate the data before uploading and after importing it from legacy system.Can write ABAP code,prefixing,suffixing,Putting initial anf constant value.

Cons:

1. In normal BDC we can restrict the execution of recording depending on user conditions and requirements but in LSMW recording runs for all the entries passed i.e. u can not skip any.

2. You can not use all the Methods provided in a Business object through LSMW.It only allows those methods for which "ALE message type" exists.

eg. For Bu. obj. BUS4001 only method "SAVEREPLICA" is accessible & not any other as "ALE message type" exists for it holding value ADRMAS.

regards,

ajit.

former_member609120
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Information regarding the IDocs and BAPI methods and the Pros and Cons is below :

ALE

ALE is SAP proprietary technology that enables data communications between two or more SAP R/3 systems and/or R/3 and external systems. When a new enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution such as R/3 is implemented, companies have to interface the ERP system with legacy systems or other ERP systems.

ALE provides intelligent mechanisms where by clients can achieve integration as well as distribution of applications and data.

ALE technology facilitates rapid application prototyping and application interface development, thus reducing implementation time.

The ALE components are inherently integrated with SAP applications and are robust, leading to a highly reliable system.

ALE comes with application distribution/integration scenarios as well as a set of tools, programs, data definitions, and methodologies that you can easily configure to get an interface up and running.

BAPI

BAPIs provide a stable, standardized method for third-party applications and components to integrate into the Business Framework. These interfaces are being specified as part of SAP's initiative with customers, partners and leading standards organizations. Also, SAP has implemented the emerging Object Application Group (OAG) specifications with BAPIs.

Pros and Cons for both BAPI and Call Transaction

BAPI

One of the big plusses for BAPIs is that the interface and function are not supposed to change. This is a big plus when you do upgrades or hot packs because the transaction can change (format, required inputs etc) which means you then need to update the call transaction.

Some of the BAPIs are better documented and easier to use than others.

You usually need to perform the BAPI that actually does the COMMIT after you call your BAPI.

The Program coding for calling a BAPI is usually cleaner than setting up the screen flow etc for the Call Transaction.

You don't need to worry about special data circumstances interrupting the normal data flow of the screens and causing errors because of that.

BAPIs probably have better performance since they don't do the screen flow processing.

In general if the BAPI exists for the transaction you want to perform and you can figure out how to use it the BAPI is probably the best way to go.

This is just from my experience working with both BAPI and Call Transaction. I have had some very good successes with BAPIs, but very occasionally found that I could not get the BAPI to perform the update I needed.

Thanks and Regards,

Vanessa

Former Member
0 Kudos

answered