Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to use BPM?

gopalkrishna_baliga
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have read that BPM is used for integrating cross application. Can somebody tell what do you mean by cross application? Any example.

What other cases I can use BPM?

I have also seen BPM being used for alerts and validations. Is this the correct use of BPM?

Thanks

Gopal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I hope the replies given by our colleagues have cleared your doubts. Some sample scenarios which you can work around are:

/people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2005/06/09/walkthrough-with-bpm

/people/arpit.seth/blog/2005/06/27/rfc-scenario-using-bpm--starter-kit

/people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2006/04/08/reconciliation-of-messages-in-bpm

/people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2006/04/08/reconciliation-of-messages-in-bpm-contd--restart-workflow

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/08/24/do-you-like-to-understand-147correlation148-in-xi

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/09/04/xi-do-you-realy-enjoy-clicking-and-waiting-while-tracing-bpm-steps

If you have any doubts further let us know?

Regards,

--Mohan

former_member91687
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

CCBPM allows you to design, execute and monitor automated process across application and systems, it also allows for stateful message processing and cross application execution. <b>Integration process allows you to some additional functionalites to handle your message processing than the Integration engine.</b> For instance you can <b>merge and split</b> your messages in an integration process, you can create <b>async-sync bridge</b> that is used to send an asynchronous message into a process and use the message as a trigger to a sync call. The IP also provides patterns that can be used as the basis for specific processs, and hence you would not have to reinvent the wheel:).

You can find a whole lot of information on the sdn library, just browse for it and read it, you will understand it better.

Regards,

Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

chk out these links to know how to and when to use bpm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/3c/831620a4f1044dba38b370f77835cc/frameset.htm

/people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2005/06/09/walkthrough-with-bpm

regards

jithesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gopalkrishna,

BPM in SAP XI is generally used for stateful message processing. Having said that if you want two messages to be processed depending on certain criteria you will have to use BPM.

The places where we generally use BPM is:

1. Error handling.

2. Handling messages from multiple senders

3. Collecting of messages

4. Splitting of messages

5. Processing message based on certain criteria

6. If the receiver structure is created based on certain criteria.

These are just some of the examples. If you hace SAP XI installed, then you can go to SWCV SAP BASIS and you will find examples out there.

Also, you can find examples in here

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/de/766840bf0cbf49e10000000a1550b0/content.htm and

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/69/4ad13fa69a4921e10000000a1550b0/content.htm

BPM is one way to raise your alerts in an excetion step. This does not mean BPM is mandatory for raising alerts

Hope this gies you some clarity.

Regards

Vijaya

Message was edited by: vijaya kumari

gopalkrishna_baliga
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi vijaya.

But i still did not get the answer to my question on cross application. What is cross application? Why we say BPM is used for cross application?

Gopal

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gopal,

BPM is used when you need <b>Stateful Message Processing</b>. What it means is say you want to combine messages from 2 different SAP or NON SAP systems and then use them with some process flow. In such cases, when you go for a BPM.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gopalkrishna,

In addition to what many people have rightly explained, I would like to clarify a bit more.

Cross-application means we need to integrate information (messages) coming from different applications. So we must take care of managing the sequence of incoming messages, segregating the messages depending on some particular field etc.

The term "Stateful" processing of messages means, we can "hold" a message in a container of BPM, which is similar to a variable in C language.

To give example, suppose we want to merge two messages coming from two different applications into a single one and then process further.

In basic XI (i.e. without BPM) there is no way to hold a message. As soon as message comes at outbound interface, it is pushed into integration server, processed and thrown out to inbound interface. This is called

stateless processing.

In our example, after first message has arrived, we must store it somewhere and <b>wait</b> for second one to come, only then further processing can be done.

Therefore we need to use BPM. Of course, there are many more functionalities too available in BPM.

Regards,

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you should use BPM when it's not possible

to do your flow without it (you have many send, receive steps, you have to correlate messages etc)

>>>I have also seen BPM being used for alerts and validations. Is this the correct use of BPM?

you don't need BPM for that

Regards,

michal