cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI Crash and/or hung up

obaid_ullah2
Explorer
0 Kudos

We have an application that emulate the user interaction with SAP application and use SAP GUI scripting (GUI for window) from VB module to interact with SAP application and perform various operations on SAP window. The operation performed during that exercise are inputting values, search a node in tree, search a value in table, input value in a table cell, click on button, send virtual keys to sap window, interacting with context menu etc etc.. Operations that need to perform on SAP GUI are organized into 'tests" and are performed in a serial fashion. A same test (sequence of operations) can be performed any number of times on a given SAP application.

Lately, we have seen that either SAP Gui crashes or become unresponsive at random when a set of operations (test) are being performed iteratively on SAP GUI. The same test executed correctly many times but at random iteration it become completely unresponsive and hung up.

Although, SAP Gui hang up occurred at a random iteration but we've noticed that if there were two sap instances on the machine then this behavior is noticed much earlier and it is almost certain to get to this sate if an ECATT is running in another sap window but still not able to establish a particular pattern and some time same tests were executed correctly in all the above mentioned scenarios. However, when problem occurred, it usually happen just after the operations that have caused SAP GUI to do a server round trip like click on button or scrolling a table etc but still it was quite random and was unable to establish a pattern.

When SAP GUI hung up then not only it becomes completely unresponsive, but it also hung up any application they tries to interact with SAP GUI scripting object. At this point, any attempt to make any references to any scripting object or even a fresh attempt to connect to scripting object model also hung up that application. The only way out at that point is to kill SAP Gui from the task manager and once SAP Gui killed then all application that was previously hang up start to resume execution!

SAP GUI for Window 7.1 patch 7 and path 11 are being used.

Any help shall be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am digging back this thread as I have a very similar issue. We use a scripting tool that is launchin SAP and login to an application every 5 min, for availability testing purposes. After some time (often around 2-3 hours), SAP is in a "not responding" test and an auto logout error appears after a while. The issue is that it is also freezing the scripting tool which means loss of data! SAP version is 730, patch level 4. Have you found any way to deal with the issue or is an upgrade necessary?

Cheers,

Caroline Z.

former_member709020
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Caroline,

When we upgraded to 7300.3.9.1084 the freezing issue stopped completely.  Here's a screen shot of our version:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ho Obaid,

You do know that SAP GUI for Windows 7.10 is out of support as of April 2011, correct?  SAP GUI for Windows 7.20 is also out of support as of April 2013.  Both of these were developed with Visual Studio 2008 or later.  Microsoft de-supported Visual Studio 2008 on April 9, 2013.

Highly recommend updating to SAP GUI for Windows 7.30 or SAP GUI for Windows 7.40 when it becomes available.

Cheers,

Dan Mead

former_member709020
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

Good info.  We are currently using File Version 7200.01.2.3185, Build 1184507 so I guess we're unsupported right now.  We just went through an upgrade that was mandatory for our W2's to process correctly in 2013.  But I hear that that upgrades had been put on hold due to smoothing out our company-wide implementation issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

You could also reach a point where your backend ABAP instance Kernel version plus SAP-BASIS component will have problems with a unsupported SAP GUI.  Your W2's will leverage an Adobe Document Server, ADS, or smart form technology.  You will experience rendering issues eventually.

It's a vicious circle of Desktop Office Integration.  With Microsoft 8.1 and Microsoft Office 2013 there were a lot correction's pushed out in SAP GUI 7.30.

Cheers,

Dan Mead

former_member709020
Participant
0 Kudos

Obaid,

I have the same issue.  I usually get the crash when manipulating SAP with an Excel macro over and over again as when testing.  The VBScript is embedded in the VBA code in Excel.  I also have this happen with VBScript embedded in a Microsoft Access macro when emulating user actions in SAP,  This is happening in production when the users are running the macro.  I wish someone knew how to prevent this!

former_member423029
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I have this specific issue and have not found a solution. I'm running SAP GUI 7.30 patch level 7, and constantly get excel/SAP GUI issues when I try to edit Excel inplace and recording a macro.  It's infuriating.  If anyone has an answer, I'd love the help.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Since this is a crash situation you could review SAP Note 1387962 - Analyzing crashing SAP Logon or SAP GUI process.

Be forewarned that SAP GUI 7.30 was compiled with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.  Personally, I wouldn't put to much effort into it and move on to SAP GUI 7.40.  You have a lot of changes coming from Microsoft and DOI will get you eventually

Cheers,

Dan Mead

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Additional to what Dan said, there are numerous fixes for Excel and Excel in-place for SAPGUI 7.30 in more recent patches. If you aren't in a position to upgrade to 7.40, then update the patch level of your 7.30 GUI to the latest (currently 12) and see if that resolves it. If not, then start a new discussion thread about the issue (this current one is six years old).

Regards,

Matt