cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import file using Pivot Tables

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to use Pivot Tables to import Master Data with Taxonomy to Staging Repository, but I am getting an error where the Pivot table cannot be created with the file format I am using.

I cannot change the file format since it is created when there is an exception, therefore the file has to stay on that format.

Does anybody knows if there is a note to apply to use Pivot Tables in MDM? Has anybody used Pivot tables in the past so can give me some tips?

Thank you very much for all your help.

Claudia Hardeman

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Pivoting in MDM can be used with Updatable data sources like MS Access because pivoting modifies the source structure.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your help Jitesh,

I have another question, and this is the issue I am running into: we are extracting Material Master from ECC, where we have classes and characteristics with values; these characteristics were converted to taxonomies in MDM with values. When I extract new materials everything works ok as long as the taxonomy value exists in MDM, we are using pivot tables to import taxonomies, if for some reason the taxonomy value does not exists in MDM the source file is completely unformated and cannot be opened with the original mapping.

The question is, why MDM Import manager transform the file not letting me use the original mapping to work the exceptions? Is this because my source file coming from ECC is on XML format?

Thank you again so much for your help,

Claudia Hardeman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Claudia,

As far as I understand of the situation is that the XML Exception file that you are trying to process is not following the existing map.

It might be because the Map was saved with a file structure which was different than your current source file. May be thats the file that you are trying to import through Import Server has moved to the Structural Exception as its structure is different from the ones you have already imported using the configured map.

You could now connnect manaully to the Exception port through Import Manager and then perform the Mapping again, so that you can get rid of this file atleast. And then please make sure that the files you import next follow the proper structure.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin:

Yes it does not follow the same format as the original one, but the reason is that when it moves from the ready forlder to exception, the format is completely changed by MDM, I think.

My main question is, why is this happening, I have other mappings working perfect, but this one the only difference with the others is that the original map has Pivot Tables to import the taxonomy.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Claudia Hardeman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Claudia,

The incoming file should match with the XSD attached with the Import Map which is saved. This is before the file goes to the structural exception. Hence in your case, this might be a possible reason as the source file is moving into the structural exception, we can infer that the source file may be not in sink with the structure of the XSD that you have used to save the map.

Also, in your case, you are using Pivoting. As far as I remember ( as I had worked on Pivots long time back ), with pivoting, it creates a new pivot table. Hence when you map the fields from multiple table ( one from Pivot table and may be other) both the mapping cant be saved in 1 map as you would have mapped fields with 2 different destination tables on the destination side possibly.If you are only mapping source fields with the Pivot table only in one map, then it should not be a problem.

However, suppose, in a single map you are mapping source fields to fields both in a pivot table and some table ( for ex, Products table), then the import map will not be able to save both the mapping. Hence in this scenario, you need to first join ( Using the Join feature) the Pivot table with the Main table and then perform the mapping with a single destination (Joined) table and save the map.

This is some additional information. Please check in case, the situtation is similar in your case. Also check Pg 390 in the MDM 5.5 Import Manager reference guide for related info.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Claudia,

Yes MDM does change the format of the file while moving a file from Ready folder to Exception folder. The file in the parent Exception folder points to exception files set aside during a particular import. The StructuralX folder contains the original source files placed in the portu2019s Ready folder.

While processing the records in MDIS, it processes in 3 stages viz, Structural Transformation Stage, Value Transformation Stage, Import Transformation Stage importing the records in a transformed version of the original record called the virtual extended record. During the structural transformation stage, MDIS applies any field transformation operations cloning, splitting, pivoting, etc. in your case pivoting as specified on the import map. If there are discrepancies between the structure of the tables in the import file and the structure in the import map (e.g. missing fields), MDIS will be unable to proceed. If this occurs, MDIS logs a structural error and moves the source file to a separate folder for manual processing in the Import Manager.

To remove this exception you need to maually open the file present in StructuralX folder, and then fix the excpetion and manually import the file.

For more details please check the following link:

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/66/8abf111afc4f89b5ced265a6c870a3/content.htm]

I hope I am able to help you.

Thanks & Regards

Dilmit Kaur Chadha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ckaudia,

Other thing is when you try to import a material and characteristic are not present in MDM as a look up value,the file will fail to import and thus throws exception. I guess same is happening in your case.

For this you need to change the configuration settings :

Set MDIS Unmapped Value Handling = Add

(ii)Sat automatic Value Mapping as YES and save the map once again.

I hope I am able to help you.

Thanks & Regards

Dilmit Kaur Chadha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much Dilmit, I think this will solve my issue. Thanks a lot for your help!

Answers (0)