cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling in PI 7.1, is it really needed, if yes what are business usecases

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

I am going the delta (DBIT71) of PI 7.1 from 7.0.

In PI 7.1 the concept of Modeling is introduced, there are several model types like:

Process Component Model, Integration Scenario Model, ProComp Interaction Model, SAP qualifier list model etc.

the procedure to create them is with me in a document, but i have the basic question, why do we need them?

my first impression is, it is unnecessarily complicated in 7.1

in PI 7.0 we were still able to address all the integration requirements without creating such models.

is there any specific need PI 7.1 trying to address by introducing Models. and in which business cases we need them in the real projects.

thanks,

Ganesh (g22sep)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

From a XI/PI Consultant perspective you are right.

BUt from a BUsiness Process Expert perspective, these models provide a better view of the Process.

They improve the "Process Visibility"

From a Business perspective the enterprise services themselves will not be of major importance, but their usage in a bigger process is what matters to them.

The business processes are depicted using one of those models. You can say that there are simple MS Visio/ WINWORD diagrams which show the Business process, but you cannot drill down to the level of service interafces and enterprise services from a simple Visio/ WINWORD diagram.

One more important thing here is that you can use other modeling tools like ARIS in the market which does only the modeling part. and you can even import the BPEL files(The output of modelling can be a BPEL file) into your PI 7.1 system.

In short, from a technical angle, the modeling is not a MUST.

But from a Business Process perspective, they are useful.

Regards,

Ravi Kanth Talagana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi Kanth, your comments are useful, thanks.

>_Ravi Kanth Talagana wrote:_

>

>From a XI/PI Consultant perspective you are right.

>BUt from a BUsiness Process Expert perspective, these models provide a better view of the Process.

>They improve the "Process Visibility"

So in PI 7.1, will the models be created by PI developers, or Business Process experts.

i mean, do we need to give PI 7.1 training to the business process experts too.

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

PI Developers can define Models,but he should know the clear understanidng about Architecture ,flow of interfaces and Porcess Component modles use.so that he can define Highlevel to Low Level.

But XI Sol Architect OR Bussines Process Experts are the best chocie to define Models.

Modeling concepts internally Uses ARIS engine.

Cheers,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for the replies. its atleast making more sense why modeling features are part of PI7.1 .