cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reduce oracle DB's size?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,All

After upgrading NW7.0 to NW7.0 EHP1, the oracle's changed from 37GB to 70GB, How to reduce the DB's size?

Thanks.

Best regards

Jiande Ding

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For Database size. u can user table reorganization . do this activity on selected tables which has huge size and need to be reorganize. but do this activity very carefully because keep in mind it will do effect your functional activity if it is not succesful.

For Backup size tell me one thing r u taking backup of Data with Archive Log fiel or without archive. if u take seprate backup of Archive log and Database then it will reduse Backup size as well.

Thanks

Presu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I deleted the tablespace for 700, I will not reduce the DB size, It's normal. Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Jiande Ding

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this is a weird answer, dropping tablespace WILL reduce DB space... and disk space.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you probably forgot to drop PSAPE70 tablespaces (or PSAPSR3700) after the upgrade.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1.From DB02--> detail analysis menu you can take out top 50 tables & indexes. you can mark the size of the index should be generally less than the table.If its more or very much similar size of table, you can rebuild it using SE14. This can free some space.

or else you may use brspace to do this.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/58/6bec38c9fa7e44b7f2163905863575/frameset.htm

In case of table this option is risky as it may result in data loss.

2. Earlywatch alert gives the top 20 degenrated index. you can check that which also gives a factor 'storage quality'.

3. Run report SAP_DROP_TMPTABLES. It removes temporary database objects. ( we do this in our BW system)

Hope this helps

Thanks

Sushil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

you can do the database reorganization to reduce the size but that is not advisable,but still I am not sure why you want to do reduce DB size

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

because backup will spend more time.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

backup will not take too much time,I would suggest you not to go for this activity

If you want to go for it,I would better suggest you talk to SAP before doing

Rohit

0 Kudos

hi,

will you ask the user not to use SAP?

That way the database will not grow and your will not have problems with the backup.

<ironic mode off>

You have upgraded, inserted new data in the database, therefore it is "normal" that it grows.

may be you should try to find out the reason there was so much groth (may be it is normal, i do not know) but simply wanted to reduce the size of the database because it is bigger is a bit "simple".

The only problem of this apporach is that requires a "little" work for your part, because it cannot be solved with a "silver bullet" shoot blindfolded