cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access legacy database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts...

I would like to know if there is some way to access a legacy database from CAF.

I have a really big system, and this system utilize database Oracle. Can i create a project in CAF using the tables of this database?

For example, create a BO related to one table of this database.

Is this possible?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In CAF, You can have a BO with Local Persistency or Remote Persistency. In case of Local Persistency, BOs will be persisted in CE system Database(MaxDB/Oracle). With remotef Remote Persistency, You can persist your BO instances in other databases. You have to map your CAF BO to Remote BO in your custom database.

[Remote Persistency help doc|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwce711/helpdata/en/44/b79bb5352056a4e10000000a1553f6/content.htm]

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sampath,

Now i know that i can access legacy tables in others database. I tried to do this, i created a new BO called Team, created a custom key and chaged Backend drop down to Remote.

But how can i define which this BO Team is related to the legacy table Team in my database.

thanks for your reply

Regards

Marcos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First, Expose the CRUD and other query operations of your legacy table Team as web service. Then Import these services into your CAFapplication and map to your CAF Team CRUD and query operations. So now, if you create a Team instance, it will be created in Legacy dtatabase Team Table. For operations mapping, you can see SAP help documentation.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sampath

Ok, i understand that to use the legacy table, i need a web service in its methods to access this table data. This methods or operation i mapped to the CAF methods. Right?

If yes, when i expose this CAF Application as web service, i'll access the caf web service, to access another web service(mapped) to make some operation in the legacy table, rigth?

I didn't like so much this concept. Probably the time to access this table will become long.

I think that i could access the table directly, like a Entity in EJB, without call another web service.

This is what i understand, if is wrong, please, can you give some tutorial or link that i be able to study this concept?

Thanks

Marcos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

one point of view, you are correct. thats why we should try to avoid the usage of Remote Persistency.

Other View:

CAF is developed for SOA development. We will write new business logic based on import services and expose them as services so that we can use them in upper layers of a Composite Application.

This approach develops more abstraction independency from the back end systems.

Go through the following architechtural gidelines series, defenetly, you will find answers to your questions.

[art|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/00caf8bd-487a-2a10-36a9-93d840309310]

[art1|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/20f7c4ef-b73d-2a10-a2b9-d9833908130c]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok Sampath

Thanks for your help. I will be study this articles, and probably make more questions to you. ; )

Thanks

Marcos.