cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation SAP NW 7.1 on Windows 2003 32-bit processor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

i want to install the Netweaver 7.1 on a Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition with SP1.

I have the Installation package ( IM_WINDOWS_X86_64_MSS )

So if i start the sapinst.exe it follows a popup with the message " The image file .....sapinst.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than your current machine.

DO i need a 64Bit Machine? I thought that X86_64 means that this software is backward compatible.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks a lot, hassan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Hassan,

You need a 64 bit processor and OS. x86_64 means the initial 64bit extension AMD gave to the x86 architecture, which was subsequently adapted by Intel as EM64T (Extended Memory64T). So if you are having an AMD Athlon 64, Pentium D with EM64T, AMD Opteron, Core2Duo (which has EM64T), or Xeon, or any latest AMD offereing, or any Pentium Processor with EM64T, you should be able to install 64bit Windows 2003 Server. There is by the way something called as IA64 (which is Intel Architecture 64 - found in some intel processors), you should be aware of what architecture you install where.

For refernce, SAP's strategy is to move servers to 64bit and you will not be able to find 32bit versions for the latest releases.

I hope this solves your query.

Regards,

Veera

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos