cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

csv rtf and xls files in file sender

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I had a requirement to design an interface, its basically just a file to file with certain mappings as per business requirements.

The input file is currently expected in .csv or .xml or .xls.

My query (can be even be considered juvenile:-) ) is ,

if csv can be processedd with FCC, why is it that xls cannot?, saving the xls as csv can be done but since its an automated process it will be out of scope to do t manually

The other query was, with more files expected in rtf and other formats..what is the best way to outline the interface?

Request you to elucidate on the above

Regards,

Ibrahim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
if csv can be processedd with FCC, why is it that xls cannot?

csv has parameters like , / nl / _ ....etc which help us in defining the FCC parameters...but the same is not possible in excel....the data is available in tabular format which XI has to read....so to make XI read an excel file FCC seems to be incompatible...please correct me if wrong

The other query was, with more files expected in rtf and other formats..what is the best way to outline the interface?

one way would be to create a separate CC for each format and include the corresponding adapter module in it.....now i assume that this is one of the ways and may not be the best one....

Including all the adapter modules in one CC may lead to inconsistency as each adapter module requires to be placed first in the list

Regards,

Abhishek.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

I think, what you ve said makes a lot of sense.. appreciate your reply...

I have also found out that we have 3 approaches for xl, th best being module.

I was just thinking if instead of the module, I hava a java maping that reads the xl and converts it to xml would work..cos then i can put in the validations.

could you throw some light on the code for the above or may be even for the adapter module to convert xl to xml?..

Regards,

Ibrahim

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
could you throw some light on the code for the above or may be even for the adapter module to convert xl to xml?..

if you need an adapter module:

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/07/04/read-excel-instead-of-xml-through-fileadapter

If you want to implement it using java:

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2009/04/05/excel-files--how-to-handle-them-in-sap-xipi-the-alternatives

exact code is not mentioned...instead the methodology is given...check if it helps you

Regards,

Abhishek.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thnx a ton for ur replies guys,

will continue to work on it and see how i can proceed, also could you lemme

I was just thinking if instead of the module, I have a java maping that reads the xl and converts it to xml would work..cos then i can put in the validations.

is it possible?...or is module a better option?..cos i ve done lot of java mappings but I ve never developed a module and deployed on server...

any blog on that to develop and deploy a module?

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Thnx a ton for ur replies guys,

>

> will continue to work on it and see how i can proceed, also could you lemme

>

> I was just thinking if instead of the module, I have a java maping that reads the xl and converts it to xml would work..cos then i can put in the validations.

>

>

> is it possible?...or is module a better option?..cos i ve done lot of java mappings but I ve never developed a module and deployed on server...

>

> any blog on that to develop and deploy a module?

I suggest go the module way.

Look into the comment section of the blog i have mentioned. There I have provided the link on how to start with the development of modules.

Happy learning

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Experts,

>

> I had a requirement to design an interface, its basically just a file to file with certain mappings as per business requirements.

>

> The input file is currently expected in .csv or .xml or .xls.

>

> My query (can be even be considered juvenile:-) ) is ,

>

> if csv can be processedd with FCC, why is it that xls cannot?, saving the xls as csv can be done but since its an automated process it will be out of scope to do t manually

XLS is a different format. It is not a text file. Eg. a PDF ... is of a different format... it is not a text file.

For any format other that a TEXT file, you will have to custom code. FCC will apply only to text formats and csv is a text format.

For excel, PDF etc you can use modules to read or write contents

eg. /people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2009/05/17/trouble-writing-out-a-pdf-in-xipi

>

> The other query was, with more files expected in rtf and other formats..what is the best way to outline the interface?

>

> Request you to elucidate on the above

>

> Regards,

> Ibrahim

If you have different formats to be read, make sure you configure different adapters for each and not a single adapter.

A single adapter can be used if all you need is to pick files and drop them somewhere doing nothing on the content