Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRBACKUP for Java

former_member759680
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have a dual stack BI 7.0 system.

I just wanted to know, whether brbackup will take a backup of both - ABAP+JAVA?

Can I use this backup to restore the system or do a homogeneous system copy?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Gautam,

> I just wanted to know, whether brbackup will take a backup of both - ABAP+JAVA?

Yes, if you backup your database with brbackup the whole database (inlcuding ABAP and JAVA schema) is backuped.

> Can I use this backup to restore the system or do a homogeneous system copy?

Yes you can use this to restore your system. For a system copy please follow the system copy guide.

Regards

Stefan

former_member759680
Contributor
0 Kudos

Stefan,

But I read somewhere that if you have a dual stack system, you cannot use Backup restore method(brbackup/brrestore) for homogenous system copy. You can only use Import/Export method using sapinst.

Is that correct?

Please clarify.

Former Member
0 Kudos

check out homogeneous system copy guide at []

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> But I read somewhere that if you have a dual stack system, you cannot use Backup restore method(brbackup/brrestore) for homogenous system copy. You can only use Import/Export method using sapinst.

you can use the backup but you must use sapinst to export and import the Java part.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Markus is right, but in a conference, I was given an unsupported procedure to refresh a java stack by using backup/restore method. This being said, an export/import of a java stack is so simple that I do not see the advantage of the backup/restore method.

so, better stick with the SAP supported procedure.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's a combination of both. You start the export on the source system using sapinst and select "use backup/restore specific copy method". This will just export the necessary Java filesystem binaries onto disk. Then on the target system select the same. So the database backup will be used for the content of the database and the export of the Java system to build the new system.

Markus

former_member759680
Contributor
0 Kudos

So Markus,

I will have

1. the brbackup files(in one directory) and

2. the export file created by sapinst for java binaries.

Then I put these 2 on the target system server and simply run sapinst and select Import option od system copy

Is that correct?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Basically yes.

The full procedure is described in the system copy guide - read that and your questions will be answered

Markus

former_member759680
Contributor
0 Kudos

Markus,

This will just export the necessary Java filesystem binaries onto disk.

Doesn't brbackup backup the Java filesystem binaries? Why do we need to take them explicitly using sapinst?

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

>

> Doesn't brbackup backup the Java filesystem binaries? Why do we need to take them explicitly using sapinst?

Why brbackup should take a backup of the "Java filesystem binaries"?

it is a tool designed to make a backup of the ORACLE database. Last time I look, the "Java filesystem binaries" are not part of the ORACLE database.

I think it can take a backup of those files, but you have to use some non standard commands.

I'll check the documentation (I do not have a JAVA system so I'm talking by heart)

NOTE: Checking the documentation si something very interesting, you can learn a lot and it is something you were told some times in this post.

You can try it 😜

UPDATE:

No more than 5 mintutes to find the info in the documentation

not bad.

First. The general information about [brbackup|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/47/1d9aa98ffb2c7be10000000a114a6b/frameset.htm]

This SAP tool for the Oracle database enables you to back up database files.

Second. You can make also make backups of [non database files|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/47/1db341b0a12c8de10000000a114a6b/frameset.htm] but

Non-database files should only be backed up with BRBACKUP after an SAP upgrade or an Oracle upgrade. This backup method is not a replacement for a file system backup using operating system features.

That should answer your last question

Edited by: Fidel Vales on May 21, 2009 12:55 PM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Why do we need to take them explicitly using sapinst?

You don't need to use sapinst to do backups, you can simply back them up using cpio, tar or whatever external tool you have. However, this will not enable you to use this backup for a system copy.

Markus