cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Down planning in IP

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm trying to achieve a result where I could have a IP planning layout where I can plan for both lowest level of my hierarchy (0gl_account) and also a upper level (I have created a custom infoobject Z_AC_L1).

Can I achieve this by creating a hierarchy for 0gl_account where I created the upper nodes using a characteristic node Z_AC_L1 and then grouping the 0gl_account:s under the nodes ?

I have added both the 0gl_account and Z_AC_L1 to the cube which I'm using for the planned data. I have also added Z_AC_L1 as an allowed external characteristic for 0gl_account hierarchy.

Br,

Henri

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Henri,

yes, you can do this in an input ready query using the disaggregation setting.

The data model to be used depends on whether you need Z_AC_L1 to be filled in the cube or not.

1. Characteristic model

Both characteristics Z_AC_L1, 0gl_account are needed in the InfoCube

- create a characteristic relationship to model the admissible combinations of 0gl_account and Z_AC_L1; this is a relation of type derivation (since on can derive Z_AC_L1 from 0gl_account)

a) You may use Z_AC_L1 as an attribute of 0gl_account: Relation of type attribute

b) You may use a BW hierarchy for 0gl_account (for leaves) and Z_AC_L1 for inner hierarchy nodes (this should be a balanced hierarchy): Relation of type hierarchy.

- use both Z_AC_L1, 0gl_account in an aggregation level; create an input ready query on this aggregation level; this query will should not use a BW hierarchy. You may display totals and sub totals or a universal display hierarchy (e.g. setting 'display rows as hierarchy ..' in the Query Designer). Both characteristics are drilled-down in the rows.

2. BW hierarchy only

Only 0gl_account is needed in the InfoCube; Z_AC_L1 is optional and may be filled via derivation. The aggregation level contains only 0gl_account. The query has 0gl_account in drill-down with a BW hierarchy on 0gl_account. It may contain text nodes or if you like inner hierarchy nodes using characteristic Z_AC_L1.

You may use this BW hierarchy also in a characteristic relationship for Z_AC_L1, 0gl_account when you need Z_AC_L1 in the InfoCube. Since Z_AC_L1 is not in the aggregation level (but 0gl_account is) the system can then automatically derive Z_AC_L1 from 0gl_account).

Regards,

Gregor

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gregor,

Thanks for your email, I think my problem is a common one and not just SAP product specific.

It's impossible to plan to "node" level objects in the hierarchy as they are not real infoobjects in the cube (allthough you can have many characteristics within one infobject hierarchy as levels). That led me to wonder whether you can plan on these additional characteristic nodes and SAP handles the logic where it's stored. Butt off course there is no real place in the cube.

I'm aware you can do the top down distribution method to lower levels:

Note 994853 - Input-ready queries: Top-down distribution, budgeting

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/994853

But this is not what I'm looking for as the planned figures in this model always end up to the real lowest level infoobject to be planned and the node level stays empty.

Then if you input the values to an additional infoobject (like Z_AC_L1) levels and try to report:

On your final query you have 0GL_Account on rows with hierarchy enabled that contains Z_AC_L1 as characteristic nodes and 0GL_Account values as the leaves -> the report does not display the sums for Z_AC_L1 on node leves but only the values for 0GL_Account on the lowest leaves level. On the absolute total sum you see the Z_AC_L1 values also.

This is offcourse understandable as the object to be reported on rows is still 0gl_account.

I think the only sensible thing is to do as what you have suggested in option 2 - to form 'representative' values withing the 0GL_Account master data and to plan on those accounts.

Br,

Henri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many Thanks for your input Gregor, I'm not sure whether these options can solve my problem though. Maybe I used the top down term in a wrong way, what I'm trying to achieve is the following:

I would want to plan to both account (0GL_ACCOUNT) level and also account hierarchy level (Z_AC_L1) individually without having them affecting each other (ie using. the disaggregation setting).

So the user would have option to:

1. Create a hierarchy for 0GL_ACCOUNT infoobject that contains both lower level leaves (0GL_ACCOUNT) and the account groups nodes that would be characteristic nodes done using Z_AC_L1

2. Create a query with 0GL_ACCOUNT on rows with the created hierarchy activated without having the disaggregation option on

3. Use the query to either plan on node Z_AC_L1 level or 0GL_ACCOUNT levels so the sum from the top node is not divided to lower levels

0 Kudos

Hello Henri,

are you talking about the 'top-down budgeting' mode (cf. corresponding functionality in BPS

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/f8/05d13fa69a4921e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

that is not yet implemented in IP) ?

The question is how you want to store data on Z_AC_L1 level only ? One can do the following

1. Store values on Z_AC_L1 with 0GL_ACCOUNT unassigned (characteristics model)

2. Use 'representative' accounts for Z_AC_L1 in 0GL_ACCOUNT; then Z_AC_L1 is not needed at all. But here one would need a BW-hierarchy with postable nodes.

Queries

1. MultiProvider containing two aggregation levels, one containing only Z_AC_L1, the other containing both Z_AC_L1 and 0GL_ACCOUNT. No disaggregation will be used. Switch 0INFOPROV in the filter to either aggregation level you need to plan on Z_AC_L1 only or on Z_AC_L1, 0GL_ACCOUNT. The latter will only be input ready on the 0GL_ACCOUNT level (since no disaggreation is used).

2. Use only 0GL_ACCOUNT, the values for Z_AC_L1 are represented by the leaves corresponding to the postable nodes. But here, both 'levels' will be input ready.

Regards,

Gregor