cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should I expect NW04S Sneak Preview installation steps to take?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am (as we speak) installing Sneak Preview NW04s. It has been on the "Database Server Software Installation" step for a couple of hours. Is this to be expected, or is it truly hung? If it's hung, what should I do/look for to find out what caused the problem? For instance, I found setup exes for MaxDB SQL Studio and MaxDB Database Manager - should I have run those before starting the NW04s install?

It doesn't look like much is going on: CPU util. is averaging around 5%, no paging, nothing happening on the network. The Task Progress screen shows "Task is running" and "Phase is in prgress."

Can anyone give me a ROM estimate of installation times for the various steps running XP SP2 on 2GB 3.5 GHz pc with fairly fast hard drives? I just want to know when/if to pull the plug on this thing. We type A's get antsy really quickly!

Here's the last entry (timestamped about 2 hours ago) that I find in sapinst.log:

Execution of preprocess block of |NW_ABAP_OneHost|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_CreateDB|ind|ind|ind|ind|9|0|NW_ADA_DB|ind|ind|ind|ind|6|0|Sdb_ServerSoftware_Dialogs|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|Sdb_ServerSoftware|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0 Step CheckExistingServerSW returns FALSE.

And here's the last set of entries in sdbinst.log:

starting installation phase of package PCR 7300 7.3.00.54

-

start real extraction of "C:/SAP_NW04s/MaxDB_7.6.0_RDBMS_Installations/MAXDB_WINDOWS_I386/PCR7300.TGZ"

extracting: drwxrwxr-x 0 2005-06-02 07:29:28 runtime/

extracting: drwxrwxr-x 0 2005-06-02 07:29:28 runtime/7300/

extracting: drwxrwxr-x 0 2005-06-02 07:29:28 runtime/7300/bin/

extracting: -rwxrwxr-x 57680 2005-05-18 12:32:39 runtime/7300/bin/irconf.exe

extracting: -rwxrwxr-x 248672 2005-05-23 11:12:47 runtime/7300/bin/irtrace.exe

extracting: drwxrwxr-x 0 2005-06-02 07:29:28 runtime/7300/pgm/

extracting: -rwxrwxr-x 640624 2005-05-19 13:30:49 runtime/7300/pgm/libpcr.dll

extracting: drwxrwxr-x 0 2005-06-02 07:29:28 runtime/7300/Support/

extracting: drwxrwxr-x 0 2005-06-02 07:29:28 runtime/7300/Support/Mapfiles/

extracting: -rw-rw-r-- 296245 2004-05-29 00:59:25 runtime/7300/Support/Mapfiles/libpcr.map

extracting: drwxrwxr-x 0 2005-06-02 07:29:28 runtime/7300/symbols/

extracting: -rw-rw-r-- 241336 2004-05-29 00:59:26 runtime/7300/symbols/libpcr.dbg

checking unpacked archive... ok

Thanks!

Message was edited by: David Jenkins

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Sumit. Once I struggled through a number of problems, I managed to finish ok. It took about 3 hours, end-to-end - about the same as you - on my deskside PC, and about 7 hours on a 3 GHz laptop (with a fairly slow HD).

Here are some guidelines for what I had to do for a successful install of both nw04s and SAPGUI:

Clean every vestige of the previous system off the hard disk:

a. Uninstall MAXDB from control panel

b. Remove Windows user SAP accounts (2)

c. Delete \windows\sapwksta

d. Delete \sapdb (or where ever you had db previously installed). I was unable to completely delete this directory, because sapni.dll and 2 other files were being shared. However, I stopped the XUSER service, which then allowed these files to be deleted.

e. Delete \program files\sapinst_instdir

f. Delete \usr\sap

g. delete \program files\SAP

h. Do a thorough registry clean (I use Registry Clean Pro)

i. Make a special search of registry for db_tech entries and delete these

j. Delete \SAPGUI directory

The installation may stop in the Post [ABAP] Import step. Mine did, and after some thrashing around, I manually started the NSP service to get install to continue. (Don't ask me how I fugured that one out - SAP log entries may have held a clue, but they certainly weren't explicit!)

YMMV, but this is what worked for me.

Here's a summary of my advice for others going through this process:

1. Clean out your previous SAP system in its entirety.

2. Keep your passwrods short. For instane, I got an authorization error on the DB Instance Creation when the DB Schema password I was using was "dbscheme1234" I changed it to "db1234" and it then worked fine.

3. Use "admin" for the superdba and control passwords. Others that I tried didn't seem to work.

4. Have patience - this is a loooong install.

former_member192818
Active Participant
0 Kudos

David,

The NW04S Sneak Preview in total take 3 hours for me to install. I have a 3GB RAM with 3.5GHz processor, and a fairly fast Hard Drive too. There might be a problem if the "Database Server Software Installation" step is taking a couple of hours.

I have done about 4 installations. If there is no error in the log files, usually the installation goes through. In your case, doesnt look like there is an error. One thing that could be done is, there is a button in the installation to go through the current step again. You could try that.

MaxDB SQL Studio and MaxDB Database Manager are productivity tools, these can be installed later after your netweaver installation is successful, or not at all. These tools are useful if you are doing database programming and do not have any alternative database to program with. MaxDB is quite a good database at this point, and I use it for my database programming.

The database engine itself is installed along with NetWeaver installation.

Sumit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi david ,

I am trying to install WEbdyn pro for ABAP .. i have downloaded free software from the sdn.. its 1.5 GB

installation was successfull but

when i log on to MMC when i start the NSP server start every thing turns Green and at the same time it asked for user name and password and i gave it as my system name and password and

when i start the SAP logon ... Disp + work get stopped and im not able to log on into it ...

can any one suggest how to install .....

is this web dynpro integrated with mySAP .. I saw a Tcode se58 ( webdyn pro conversion ) is webdynpro integrate with SAP

Regards

Vijay baskeren

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, Vijay - I can't help. I don't kn ow what would cause that. I've had a squillion other problems with this install, but yours was not one of them. My only suggestion would be for you to look at any of the many .log files created by the install and operation of NW, and see if anything pops out at you. SOme of those log files contain lots of entires, but you'll only need to look for the most recent, I guess, to see if they hold a helpful clue.

Good luck...

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Address to the posting by s.p.s.vijaybaskeren Sundaram:

This is the third thread where I have found your same posting. Please do not SPAM your question across multiple threads. This only confuses the issue and causes people trying to answer your question to not have the complete picture.

Message was edited by: Thomas Jung