cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM data match and assigning global number

Former Member
0 Kudos

We currently run multiple R/3 instances across the globe. We want to use MDM to "harmonize" the material data across those instances and in the case where there are duplicates, we wish to assign a global number. The only field we can use to identify potential duplicates is manufacturers part number. This field will not always be a 100% match, but we wish to identify potential matches where the data is "close". Is this done in the import manager? I feel this is a bit of a unique situation as we only want to identify duplicates based on this one field. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on how we can accomplish this and ultimately assign a global number where there are matches?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

My initial impression is, for your scenario "Key Mapping" is the right choice for you. You can identify different instances of your R/3 as various "Client Systems" and map the field that may have potential duplicates as "Remote Key" after enabling "Key Mappings" feature. Using this method, you will be able to identify the duplicates with a unique value.

I would suggest to go throught the may help you in understanding these features.

Let me know in case you need any additional information on these.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks so much. The field we want to match on is a text field. The data may be typed in in different orders and may contain characters such as /, -, (). If this is a 'text normalized' field, is there a way to assess match/duplicates based on degree of similarity of the text??

Illustration:

Europe manuf part number: xyz-12/3 colour RED

US manuf part # : XYZ12-3 RED

Asia Pacific Manuf part# :Red, xyz*12-3

Thanks for your assistance

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

We can use the following two components to do the data consolidation.

1. Import Manager -> using Match Records Tab->Matching Fields.

2. Data Manager -> using Merge records option.

In Import manager it does consolidate only certain extent. But in the Data Manager you can write some expressions to find out the potential duplicates. Once you identify the duplicates. Select all the records and use the Merge Records Option.

Let me know if you need additional information/help.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As Subbu pointed, you can use Import Manager as well as Data Manager for your consolidation. For the case you mentioned, you can "Normalize" the text in Import Manager itself before doing the Matching. Fot this, Select the field in the "Map Fields" grid, Right Click and select "Set Value Conversion Filter" and then "Normalize".

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the information. Our dilemma is that we require all of the materials to be held within the MDM module and be able to apply a global id (or number) to the like materials. For example:

Europe manufacturer part number: xyz-12/3 colour RED

US manufacturer part number: XYZ12-3 RED

Asia Pacific Manufacturer Part number: Red, xyz*12-3

Each of these materials must be loaded into MDM. Once they are in the MDM data manager, we would like to automate a search comparison and apply a global number. Is this possible within MDM?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do,

You can utilise the "Free Form Search" available in Data Manager. Here, you can search on various forms. Just to refer to your example, you can search on the field with operator "contains" with value "red" or "123" or "xyz". For more information on Free Form Search, refer to the help link for <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdmgds55/helpdata/EN/43/e0615f82b40a2ee10000000a11466f/frameset.htm">Free Form Search</a>.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

there is a article: how to identify duplicate master data records using the MDM Import Manager. you need to follow the steps to setup your structure and do the mapping in Import manager to identify potential duplicate matches.

After you done that, you have a new field to indicate the match rate for the part#. Then I suggest to setup validation in data manager to check the match rate and sign a global part number to the records with 100% match rate. You can search other doubtous parts by match rate in data manager to set the creteria greater than “60”, and manually sign global part# if appropriate.

Regards,

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Where do I find this article? That sound like it better fits our goal of matching as many records as we can automatically and then manually assigning the global number for those that are dubious. We are talking about 250,000 materials!!!!!

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

You need Service market place ID to access it.

Open

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=00200797470000073631&.

Look for the following file.

"How to identify duplicate master data records using MDM"

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I have the article. If you have problem to get it, let me know your email, I can email you .

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you David, please email dschultz@kcc.com.

Regards,

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

This article explains in identifying the duplicates at field level. But, in your scenario, as per the example given by you, it is not possible to use Import Manager and the procedure explained in that article may not be of help.

Regards,

Rajani Kumar