cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Header navigation in Web

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings!

BPS-Newbie here. I have tried to find this answer thru searches of the forum but to no avail.

I am trying to do the basic header navigation in the web. I understand about the combinations being unique, but also understood you could simulate the process using a variable.

I set up my level/package/layout using the variable and within the planning folder BPS appears happy and the layout worked as planned. I executed the Generate Web Interface from the planning folder (no errors), go to Web Interface, Customizing and choose the interface, do the generate, get all green messages back, but when I execute I get the message about the header combination not being unique.

So, I am trying to understand what I missed. Ideas?

Thanks in advance!, Paul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Since you guys have already tried sooooo many options, just try doing this too.. . Paul if you wish to display the variable on web and have it for selection in the header level, you need to include variable component in your web interface. follow the steps to do it

bps_wb-right click on your page component-create subcomponent of SEL_VARL..then use your variable name which you created in bps0...now it will appear in header and u'll be able to navigate..hope it clears everyones doubt abt using variables in wib.

Thanks

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rohit:

Thanks for the suggestion - worked like a charm!

Now, how does one save of all this configuration of the Web Interface when you re-gen the Web Interface from the folder?

Thanks for your help!

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

It is not possible, if u'll regenerate web interface from planning folder it will actually create a new BSP application which will obviously not contain the changes which you made previously at WIB level..so my suggestion is

1)either you first create your planning folder in the best way you want and then generate web interface

or

2)use web interface wizard to make any sort of changes in your web interface instead of making them at the planning folder level and then regenerating it.

Thanks

Rohit

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

All of the charicteristics you have set as header charicteristics in your planning layout must be restricted to one value in your planning level. Either by variable or by specific selection. If you have a varaible in the level, you must restrict it to a single value. Usually you do this by putting a varaible selector on the page with the layout. If you want to be able to scroll through multiple possible header combinations you can do this by enabling the Excel Web Interface on the layout in the Web interface builder. Excel on the web will give you up and down arrows that will allow you to scroll through multiple header combos.

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike:

Thanks for the response. I'll try that and see what I get.

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike:

No luck, same results. What I don't understand is why it works within the folder but not the Web. When I did not use the variable I got the error message about the characteristic restriction, but when I swapped to the variable it worked fine in the folder.

So, how do you implement a layout that can be used across multiple business units?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please check one thing ,it's with definition of variables what is the variable type and what are the check-boxes marked for them on the screen (there are 2)

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anad:

The variable is Fixed value and I only have one check box (unchecked) for restriction of values required by user.

(along with the selection conditions list and text replacement selection)

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try this please check the box restriction of values required by user.

Execute the planning folder and save some values. After that use the web interface with the same user id.

99% (that's SAP) this will work if it doesn't change the variable to user input and do the above steps once again.

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anand:

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately I am still not able to get this to work. I tried both suggestions twice and still no luck. This looked so straight forward - can't wait to try something more complicated :-).

ALV versus Excel should not be an issue correct? Other areas to check????

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you save some value for the planning using the GUI and then used the same user id for web.

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

Is your issue resolved? If no,please check one more thing.

Go to the change variable screen and double click on the variable you are using.

On the right hand side, you would see a screen, where you can maintain the fixed value. Check to ensure that you have maintained a value there.

You could also try the option "User Defined Values" and check both the boxes. This would force the users to enter a value,if a value is not existing already.

Once you change the variable, re-generate the web layout.

This should hopefully resolve your issue.

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil:

No luck yet. I changed the variable to user defined, checked both boxes and re-gened. When prompted for the variable value, as long as I restrict the value to one, it will work. However, if I give it a from/to range, no luck.

Also, once I give it a single value, I can't seem to get another value in the variable (outside the adm tool) unless I delete my user id. How do you enter another value?

Thanks for your ideas.

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I think I know what the problem is. Is the object for which you are using the variable in the header area in the layout?

If yes, then the system will display results for only one value at a time. However, it will give you the option to display each value of the range, one at a time.

If you want to use a from and to range, move the object from the header area to the lead column. This would then enable you to see all the results for the range selected.

If you are choosing the options, User defined values, and 'Input allowed by user', you would be able to enter new values in the selection area of the layout.

Hope this helps

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil:

I am running off to some meetings and won't be able to try this out for a couple of hours, but thank you for the ideas.

I want to clarify if I can:

1) The object is in the header. I am trying to emulate the navigation of scrolling through the values in the header (like going from one business unit to the next).

2) In your second line, you mention the option to display each value one at a time, is this done by prompting the user?

3) I understand about putting the object in the lead column, it just makes the screen somewhat messy, but who knows, it may be want works in the end

Thanks for your help. I'll check back later with results.

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil:

I have tried a couple of things but am still stumped.

1). I change the characteristic to user defined/input allowed by user and was not able to use this in the Web.

2) I moved the characteristic to the lead column which did work in the web but had 1 1/2 pages of data as each business unit then had all the metrics listed below it. I used BPS hierarchies which allowed collapsing but only after the fact. I understand there is a table entry to allow a more collapsed view but I will worry about this later.

3) So what to do? I am trying to build a layout that each business unit would use to input their forecasts. Then I want a similar layout that allows the Budget office to see all the BUs information, but one BU at a time so they can scroll through and review them individually. Other techniques.

I appreciate all the help!

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Did you create a planning folder and then web enabled it?

If yes, check to see if you have dragged and dropped the varaible under the header "Variable". Unless you call for a selection variable in the layout it will not be available for the users.

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil:

I have done that and it works within the folder, just not the Web.

Oh well, back to the design table.

Thanks for your ideas!

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

May be the variable that you have used is not restricted to one single value. When a layout is executed in web mode, the header values have to be always restricted to one single value, be it variable or direct selection restriction.

Hope this helps,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj:

I understand about restricting the value, but what I want is to be able to mimic the header navigation and scroll through s series of values (like business unit). I had understood you could do this using variables. If not, how? I would not like to have to have a separate layout for each Business Unit for the Corporate folks to look at when they want to look at the whole company.

Thanks,

Paul