cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline Backup of Standby Database using BRTools

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We have recently configured standby database. Right now the database is in mount status and logs generated in primary site are being constantly applied to the standby database. I want to take offline backup of the standby database using BRTools. But as per my knowledge while we use BRTools for offline backup the database is opened once to retrive file names of data and online redologfiles from the database. Apart from it SDBAD and SDBAH tables are also accessed by BRBACKUP and some oracle dictionary views during the start of the backup procedure. Hence my concern is how to take offline backup as the database will be opened for a while though it will be shutdown for the remaining time. Do I need to mount the database in standby mode again once the backup gets completed and will it have any impact of opening and again mounting the database in standby mode. Kindly advice me how to proceed.

Thanks & Regards,

Tapan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

it is not necessary that databse in open mode while starting the offline backup. u may manually down the database from SQL prompt and start the offline backup by brtools with option offline backup(Backup Type).

Thanks

Presu

Former Member
0 Kudos

You may take backup of standby database in modus offline_standby.

brbackup will not open your standby database, but will access tables SDBAD and so on in your primary database.

You will have to set parameter primary_db, and you will need a working sqlnet connection to the primary db.

It's all in the manual, but I haven't a link at hand just now.

hope this helps

Edited by: Joe Bo. on May 19, 2009 9:17 AM