cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Memory Issue in R/3 production Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Guru's

Few days back I posted below problem in the forum because we faced below problem in our R/3 production server :

An issue with the SAP Gateway which was running but not working correctly

For that reason no RFC or any other outgoing connection was working

Once we tried to restart the gateway the server, it crashed

Please let me know what are the corrective action, and from where I can found the appropriate logs for the same.

Please suggest the rectification or refer SAP Notes to resolve the issue

I am attaching the log for your reference

trc file: "dev_dpmon", trc level: 1, release: "640"

sysno 00

sid PBS

systemid 324 (IBM RS/6000 with AIX)

relno 6400

patchlevel 0

patchno 243

intno 20020600

make: single threaded, ASCII, 64 bit

pid 1380766

Thu May 7 07:04:22 2009

Profile configuration error detected, use temporary corrected setup

Shared Pool 10: ipc/shm_psize_10 = 19880000 (too small)

Shared Pool 10: (smaller than min requirement 189885550)

Shared Pool 10: (estimated size assumed 194000000)

I am unable to get the rectification yet, but problem is resolved now, there is doubt in my mind so please can anbybody give me the answers of my questions:

1. how to see shared memeory details in server and what is the difference in seperate appl servers and CI shared memory?

2. how to calculate the shared memory in the server ?

Thanks & Regards

Shishir

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am unable to get the rectification yet, but problem is resolved now, there is doubt in my mind so please can anbybody give me the answers of my questions:

>

> 1. how to see shared memeory details in server and what is the difference in seperate appl servers and CI shared memory?

the details can be viewed by the program "ipcs", check the manpages.

What do you mean with "different in separate appl servers and CI shared memory"? IPC shared memory is a mechanism used to enable processes to communicate with each other on the same server.

> 2. how to calculate the shared memory in the server ?

This is application dependent. A gateway-only instance needs less shared memory than a full CI. How much is used actually depends on your parameters. If you don't specify any for e. g. your gateway instance the default values are used - which may be too small for your environment. You can check with the program "sappfpar" what kind of segments are to be allocated and how the default values are.

Markus

ashish_mishra2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Bajpai ji,

Your system will not come up untill you assign the required memory to shared memory segments.

This issue occurs because of SHM segment

run the report sappfpar and check all the segments are set correctly.

in case of any error in the sappfpar check output, correct the same.

Check pool 10 and 40 are available as well as no error should be reported at the end of check output.

Command format

from sidadm user

sappfpar check pf=/usr/sap/<sid>/DV*/profiles/<instance profile>.pfl

In your case error is reporting for pool 10. Check your instance profile you will find ipc/shm_psize_10 paramater. modify thats value to the recommended one, your system will come up.

Regards,

Ashish Mishra

Edited by: Ashish Mishra on May 21, 2009 8:33 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

Usually it is the pool size 10 and 40 that have to be changed.As suggested above, please run the sap profile parameter check to determine the error or warnings.Then, you can change as per the suggestions.(usually you have to add 10 or 20 to it).

check this link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/c4/3a6f41505211d189550000e829fbbd/content.htm

Regards,Prasanna

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks