Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between append and include

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have been tasked with adding custom fields to the PROJ and PRPS table. I've built a couple of structs that are "included" in the tables named above. But...I was wondering if I should be using "append" instead. Can someone give me some details on when is the proper time to use "append" vs "include"?

regards,

Mat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member188685
Active Contributor
6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

/message/1479232#1479232 [original link is broken]

This might be useful.

Regards,

Suruchi

0 Kudos

hi,

There is not a huge diff. between append versus include from an ABAP perspective but they are in how the solution is being described to you.

In the one case you are actually going to add the field into the existing CI_* include structure. SE11 will work for that.

In the other option you will add an append structure to the CI_* include structure (SBIW) and then add

code into the user exit (CMOD) to populate the field.

<b>Include</b>

1.) You add a field in the name space of SAP (like PRCTR). In this case it is necessary to modify the extract structure and to get an access key via the OSS. The "MOVE-CORRESPONDING" does only work in this case. (This means the field is copied into the extract

structure without adding any code.)

<b>Append</b>

2.) You add a field, that lies in the customer name range. By adding such a field in an append structure you cause no modification and no OSS access key is necessary. Nevertheless the field is not copied into the extract structure automatically, if you choose

this second solution.

Regards,

Santosh

former_member188685
Active Contributor

ferry_lianto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

Append Structure

is a structure assigned to just one table. When a table is activated, all append structures for the table are found and appended to the table.
Append structures are used to add customer fields to SAP tables

Include Structure

is a structure which we include under another structure which is already defined

An include structure is NOT the same as an append structure. I tried in a datasource to add a field via an append structure, however I didn´t see the field in the data source. When I changed it to an Include structure everything was ok

Please check this link for more info.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/cf/21ebc9446011d189700000e8322d00/content.htm

Hope this will help.

Regards,

Ferry Lianto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks

Vikranth.K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

1. .INCLUDE

(which appears in se11 in many tables.)

2. Well,

thats nothing but a technique

of BUNCHING / GROUPING fields

(for ease of re-use)

(instead of again and again

specifying those SET of FIELDS,

in more than 1 table)

(we can as well give each field, field-by-field,

it won't make any difference in database table)

3. However,

Append structure

is FACILITY PROVIDED BY SAP

for customer enhancment of tables.

It behaves differently when

some upgrade is done in that table

by sap itself.

In such case,

when the upgrade occurs,

first the SAP fields (which are added in the standard table)

are first included in the sequence of fields,

AFTER THAT,

our APPEND structure fields,

are appended !!!

regards,

amit m.