cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BI 7 and Solution Manager

p_m8
Participant
0 Kudos

Does anyone know exactly what is SAP Solution Manager?

I found the following from the web:

The SAP Solution Manager supports you throughout the entire lifecycle of your solutions, from the Business Blueprint thru configuration to production operation. It provides central access to tools methods and preconfigured content, that you can use during the evaluation, implementation, and productive operation of your systems.

Question is we're about to upgrade to BI 7, and someone say we can use Solution Manager???

What has this to do with BI 7???

confused, please advice... thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Solution manager is the system to manage all SAP systems. There are a lot of thing you can do with Solution manager like Transports , system monitoring etc etc... There is a whole forum dedicated to the same which you can go through.

As for BI7 - Solution manager is needed for your license key generation anyway when you upgrade. For that you would need solution manager and post that any SP downloads et are all streamlined through solution manager. But for actually using solution manager as an application - it is left to your landscape integrator...

p_m8
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks, but can we do the BI 7 upgrade without solution manager?

I confused with the following:

"Solution manager is needed for your license key generation anyway when you upgrade"

What happen if we dont have solution manager?

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The upgrade master guide tells that you will need to generate the license key using solution manager. I have seen upgrades being done without the same but am not too sure of what the status quo is. You would have to look at the upgrade master guide at

service.sap.com/instguides...

p_m8
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks.

I read the upgrade guide, it says "SAP Solution Manager system (minimum release 3.2 SP8) to install

or upgrade to SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR1 or higher."

In that case, what happen if we DONT have solution manager?

What I understand is the solution manager separate application running on seperate machine that use to manage the SAP landscadpe etc correct? But now in the upgrade guide, it says we need it???

What about upgrade from SAP R/3 4.6 to ECC? Solution Manager required also?

AA3
Participant
0 Kudos

yes in r/3 to ECC also solution manager in required.