cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with retrieving WebI prompts through VBA SDK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am having difficulty retrieving WebI prompt values through my VBA code. I've noticed that the HasPrompts method works correctly, but when I try to retrieve the actual Prompt name / values, the collection is always empty.

If (DocumentItem.PluginInterface.hasprompts = True) Then
                msgbox ("prompts found")
                msgbox (DocumentItem.PluginInterface.Prompts.Item(1))
             Else
                msgbox ("no prompts found")
             End If

Any ideas as to why I am never able to see a populated collection of prompts, even when HasPrompts = True ?

Any ideas appreciated...

Thanks

Issue with retrieving WebI prompts through VBA SDK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

You can't do it via the VBA.

You need to use the ReportEngine SDK - currently only .NET and Java versions.

You have to open the Web Intelligence document using ReportEngine to refresh the document, before you can retrieve prompts.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Ted.

It seems in my testing this is the case with BOXI R2 SP2, but on my test environment patched to SP5, this appears to be corrected and the SI_WEBI_PROMPTS collection is exposed and can be accessed through VBA. I believe this was a bug / known defect? Do you know specifically what SP addressed this issue?

Thanks...

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

It's not a bug, it's not a defect, it's by design.

The InfoObject SI_WEBI_PROMPTS collection do not represent the "real" prompt values - they're kept within the Web Intelligence *.wid files.

The scheduling of a Web Intelligence document - say in InfoView - opens the wid file using ReportEngine, exposes the prompts, and then, after the prompts are set, copies them over to the InfoObject SI_WEBI_PROMPTS collection. This is then used by the Job Server.

That a Web Intelligence InfoObject contains SI_WEBI_PROMPTS merely means that the collection has been pre-filled previously. It doesn't guarantee that the SI_WEBI_PROMPTS are filled, or that the values held in the SI_PROMPTS are in synch with the actual values held in the wid file.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

0 Kudos

Sorry for the off topic, but, is possible to write a VBA code that can open a .WID file that is only on the local drive, not on the CMS, and save it "with for all users" and "remove document protection" flags active?

I need it because I need to migrate from 3.1 to 4.1 and I have many wid reports that are not on the CMS

Thanks

Massimo