cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports on Vista

Former Member
0 Kudos

I currently have an app built using Visual Studio 2005 that uses crystal reports. When I install on Vista I get errors registering the crystal reports dlls. What's the easiest solution for this? Can I simply get updated merge modules that won't require me to change anything in my VS project? If not, what will I need to do?

thanks,

- Rory

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rory,

Please provide more details about your application, and the version of Crystal Reports you're using. Are you using the bundled edition of Crystal Reports that ships with VS2005? Or have you installed a full version of Crystal Reports onto your development machine?

Which merge modules did you use in your installation package? Did you try building an EXE installer, instead of an MSI installer? There are times when I've seen that Vista doesn't play well with MSIs.

Sincerely,

Dan Kelleher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

It's a winforms app. The part of the app that uses Crystal simply runs reports using rpt files and opens them in the report viewer.

It's built using the Crystal Reports that shipped with VS2005 (dll versions 10.2.3600.0), I've not installed any other versions.

The installation package is built using Wise Windows Installer Edition. I'm using CrystalReportsRedist2005_x86.msm, and the revision number guid ends in 95580F1320E4. I'm also using these other merge modules:

- ATL module for windows

- Infragistics UI components

- Registration Wizard Module

- Visual C++ 8.0 ATL

- Visual C++ 8.0 ATL.Policy

- Wise Solutions Fix component Conditions

It builds an msi installer, which is required by my customers rather than say an exe.

This forum post [http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=168446&page=2] suggests I can use the msm from Crystal Reports XI, so I'm downloading that (Crystal Reports XI Release 2 - SP 5 .NET Merge Modules) and will give it a try. Presumably I'll need to update my project references to different dll versions.

Any other suggestions would be great!

- Rory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rory,

You're using the bundled edition of Crystal that ships with VS2005 then you can NOT use the XI R2 merge modules. All the merge modules are version specific. Your version of bundled CR is v10.2. CR XI R2 is v11.5.

If you upgraded your development environment to CR XI R2 and upgraded your application to use the 11.5.x assemblies then you could deploy the XI R2 merge modules. You're not there yet, so don't try deploying the XI R2 merge modules.

I'm not sure why you're seeing DLL registration errors. As a test, I would still suggest building your setup as an EXE and running it. If this works, it provides clues. Also, turn off DEP and test your installer.

Perhaps others have some ideas.

Sincerely,

Dan Kelleher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dan,

It seems like this is a widely experienced problem, but I can't find a proper documented solution. A workaround that I've found that has worked is to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) [http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en] on the Vista machine before installing my MSI. That allows my normal MSI to work fine on Vista, but isn't ideal as I only want to distribute a single exe. (Suggested on this thread [http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=176271&highlight=CrystalReportsVista])

fyi The errors logged to the event log (if I've not installed that C++ redistributable) come in pairs like this:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\2.7\bin\ExportModeller.dll" Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.ATL,processorArchictecture="x86".... could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

then

Product: Error 1904. Module "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\2.7\bin\ExportModeller.dll" failed to register. HRESULT -217010895. Contact your support personnel.

and so on for various other dlls.

My installer includes the merge modules for ATL (I assume these are the same thing), but I guess they're not getting applied first.

I've also documented this here [http://stackoverflow.com/questions/882843/how-to-redistribute-crystal-reports-for-vs2005-to-vista] in case any helpful soul there has info to share.

I've not tried building to EXE or disabling DEP (yet).

- Rory

0 Kudos

Hi Rory,

1904 is a permission error or wrong version of the MSIExec although not likely in this case.

Are you installing under the administrators account? Need this for permissions to update the registry and register the COM components.

Sometimes that error also shows up due to network or CD/DVD reader delays. Try copying your EXE/MSI to the local PC and then install.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply. I am installing from an admin account, the msi is local, and the errors occur consistently.

So far it seems to be a problem with the merge modules not really working on Vista - I'm not sure if the problem lies in the ATL modules or the Crystal Modules, but there are a variety of posts around that suggest the only workaround is to install the C++ library first, e.g. via a bootstrap package. Not exactly the best approach...

If there's a better one or merge modules that actually work on Vista I'd love to hear it.

- Rory

0 Kudos

Hi Rory,

I did not see or notice if you downloaded and installed SP1 for CR .NET 2005? This is a must do.

You can get it from this link:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006007872008E/crvs05sp1.exe

and the redist from this link:

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100010010692008E/crredist2005_sp1_x86.zip

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Aha, that could be the issue! I see in the [release notes|https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100005853302008E/cr_net_2005_mm_readme.pdf] this promising sign:

ADAPT00738607

Description: When installing a customized Setup project with the Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 merge modules (.msm) on Vista, several COM components fail to register.

e.g. "Module C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\2.7\bin\ExportModeller.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147010895. Contact your support personnel." If you run the setup.exe again and select repair, the installation will go on without any error, and the component can be registered.

New Behavior: This problem is resolved

The files you linked to are exe/msi files, and having installed them I can't find any msm files installed. Where can I get the updated merge module msm files for CR SP1 ?

- Rory

0 Kudos

Hi Rory,

Cool.. getting some where...

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100005853292008E/cr_net_2005_mm_mlb_x86.zip

All these are available on our download site. To get there click on the Business Onjects tab at the top of this page. Then Support on thenext line of Tabs and then click the link in the middle of the page. Filter on .NET and you'll find it all.

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you sure that's the SP1 merge module? I can't see anything there saying SP1, and the mm file has the same filename, revision guid and file size as the one I already have. Is there any way to identify which version I have?

Nevertheless I'll give it a try...

thanks,

- Rory

bill_wingate
Explorer
0 Kudos

Has anyone made this work without installing the VC++ runtime first? I am using the SP1 merge modules (I assume--they are dated 10/24/2007) but still encounter this error when installing on Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7. I assume this is the same problem as when installing on Vista, though I have not actually tested it on Vista to see if SP1 actually fixed it there as claimed earlier in this thread.

Installing the VC runtime before installing my app fixes the problem but is a pain.

My app already includes the VC++ merge module, in fact, but this doesn't help with the CR installation, either because CR is getting installed first or because the DLLs are going into SxS and the CR components aren't looking there.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since SP 1 and higher has a dependency on the VC++ library, you will have to ensure the library is installed before the Crystal Reports runtime.

Ludek

bill_wingate
Explorer
0 Kudos

The earlier discussion, and the SP release notes, suggest that the problem was fixed so that you wouldn't have to handle this separately in the installer. But that does not seem to be the case: even though my installer already includes the VC runtime merge modules, the Crystal Reports DLLs still fail to register unless I run the standalone redistributable installer before the main install.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure what the issue is then.

Also, not sure what SP release notes that suggest that the problem was fixed you are referring to. This is not viewed as a bug, so I do not anticipate this to be "fixed".

It may be an idea to create a phone case and discuss the issue with tech support over the phone. Phone cases can be obtained here;

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/DisplayProductByTypePage&parentCategoryID=&categoryI...

Ludek

bill_wingate
Explorer
0 Kudos

A previous post in the thread references issue ADAPT00738607, which supposedly was "resolved" in CR for Visual Studio 2005 SP1, but it's anyone's guess what the "resolution" was since it's not described and the problem still occurs.

It's an annoying bit of extra work to install the runtime components by running the redistributable installer exe as a prerequisite, rather than having the merge modules take care of everything. In my case, my application's MSI is sometimes chained by the installer of another application that includes mine. As a result they now have to handle installation of the VC runtime so that my application will install correctly.

I was just hoping that someone had come up with a way to make it work using only merge modules.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My Problem SOLVED! Hurray!!!!!!!!

Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 all are NT 6.1 based OS and i've been facing this Operation not yet implement issue when trying to export Crystal report to PDF. I've tried registering various DLL's as suggested on different blogs and support sites, and none of the steps helped me. I was using Crystal Report 2008 that shipped with Visual Studio 2008 Professional Bundled.

I read somewhere that Crystal report 2008 needs Microsoft VC++ Runtime sp1 installed before installing crystal report in the deployment environment. I got the point, my server was windows 2008 r2 64 bit, so i download both 32-bit and 64-bit of vc++ runtime (as i am unsure what was required since windows is 64 bit and Crytal report need 32 bit environment). After installing vc++, i tried a repair of crytal report basic 2008 from appwiz.cpl and my problem was solved.

It's been more than 2 week i googled solution for this problem.I am glad my search finally ended.

May be this will help somebody.

Please write to me at exotic.ankit at gmail dot com if you need a similar assistance on the above issue. I may be helpful.

Crystal Report Rocks

Cheers!!!