Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search help

former_member191977
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to create a new search help in va42 or va43 for the contract. Can some one explain me how to achieve this.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vinod_gunaware2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

<b>Implementing search Helps</b>

Search helps can be implemented in a variety of ways:

<b>Add to Table field</b> Added via SE11: Place cursor on desired field within database and select menu path Goto->Search help->for field

Effect: If field used to create screen field, search help will be called when user executes F4/drop down input help. All fields on screen will be populated if appropriate fields exist in search help and screen.

<b>Add to Table</b> Added via SE11: Place cursor on desired field within database and select menu path Goto->Search help->for table

<b>Add to Data element</b> Added via SE11: Select desired data element (double click), enter search help name and parameters in appropriate fields on screen. Will be applied to all fields associated with that data element

Add to Screen field Added via screen painter: One of field attributes is search help. Will only populate the one screen field.

<b>Add to Sel. screen parameter (MATCHCODE)</b> Added using 'matchcode' addition for parameters declaration: Search help name must be no more than 5 characters long.

e.g. PARAMETER p_prog LIKE trdir-name MATCHCODE OBJECT zsh.

regards

vinod

former_member191977
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi if you go thru my req, I feel the below mentioned search helps r not of use. If any thing is suitable pls. let me know.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lakshmi,

I don't think we have too many choices as we are dealing with standard screens of VA42 and VA43. We cannot change the search helps associated with the screen. So, we will have to modify the search help already associated in that screen and that is what I suggested. Now, the same search help is being used in different screens so your changes will be reflected every where.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you include a new search help to 'VMVA', this will add every screen wherever its used. We can make it to add only at VA42 or VA43 transaction via search help exit SD_F4_SHLP_EXIT_SUBSHLP_CHOOSE.

To be more specific, in this function module SHLP_TAB internal table holds all the search helps. U can add/delete existing search helps dynamically based on transaction Code. And also have a note this is standard FM you need access key to change this FM.

Hope this help.

Thanks,

Vamshi

former_member191977
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks vamsi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lakshmi,

In VA42 and VA43 for the contract field, there will be search associated with it already <b> (VMVA) </b>. This will be a COLLECTIVE SEARCH HELP.

You will have to create a ELEMENTARY SEARCH HELP using SE11 and change the VMVA object to add the new SEARCH HELP you have created.

For creating the ELEMENTARY SEARCH HELP, you will have specify whether you want to get the data from TABLES / VIEWS and what fields need to be displayed and finally what will be the field name that will be returned to the field, from which the help is invoked. All this is done in SE11.

Hope this will solve the issue.

Regards,

Ravi

Note : Please close the thread, if this solves the issue.

former_member191977
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for ur response,

I did in the similar way but i am seeing the same search help in va02 and va03 transactions too which shud not happen. So, i thought this is not the right way. Is there any other way to do this.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lakshmi,

That is the side effect that you will have to bear with because what we have modified is a standard search help that is being used across the system. So, that will affect all the places where the SEARCH HELP is being used. Can't help it?

I am not aware of any other way of doing this.

Regards,

Ravi

Note : Please mark all the helpful answers