cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Oracle Partitioning relevant when using BI Accelarator?

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a naive question, if my query is running in BI Accelerator, I presume it bypasses RDBMS all together, so Oracle partitioning will be of no benefit. I think the answer is YES, but just checking since I am new to BIA.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> This is a naive question, if my query is running in BI Accelerator, I presume it bypasses RDBMS all together, so Oracle partitioning will be of no benefit. I think the answer is YES, but just checking since I am new to BIA.

IF your query completely runs in BIA and no DB access is made, then having partitioned objects in the Oracle database does not make a difference, right.

BUT this likely won't be the case very often. So you will have to access the database for BI.

Also keep in mind, what partitions are actually there for: making it easier to handle large volumes of data.

Accessing it, moving it, getting rid of it - partitions are there to break down the problem of managing data into smaller pieces.

You need to have that when you're dealing with lots of data.

And lots of data is what you're dealing with when you use SAP BI and BIA.

Therefore: Oracle partitioning does provide a benefit to the system, even if you do have a BIA.

regards,

Lars

Answers (0)