cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you allow your company direct access to the ECC database (why- why not)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In our organization we have a single Intel server that holds the ECC application and SQL Server 2005 database. The server isn't a small one as it has 32GB of memory (soon to be 64Gb) and 24 cores, OS is Windows 2k3 64bit.

The question was asked the other day by some of the programmers why can't they use SQL extract applications like SSIS to extract data directly from the database and not going through SAP.

Does anyone else allow this in their organization, we have a meeting about this tomorrow and I would like to know what the standard is. I understand that this bypasses all the SAP Layers, is this a good or bad thing.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great answers guys, can anyone thing from an application side, ie locking etc.

SAP not recording stats correctly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Even in read-only case it bypasses the authorization level. In my view, there should not be any direct access to database.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No One should have direct access to SQL server database other than the administrators.

Whatever your programmers have to do should be done at SAP level and this is according to SAP standards

Because when you give someone access to the database,you make your system vulnerable

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I totally agree with Rohit. Even for read access only, it is a very bad idea to access SAP data directly at the dataabse level.

Think about an upgrade which changes the data model :the bapi will still work, not the database level access...

I think it may even be against the SAP license but I am not sure about it for read only acccess.

Regards,

Olivier