cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trans directory files deletion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

I need to delete some files from trans directory as it is full.Can any body tell me how to delete along with unix commands and which files can be deleted and what are the things need to keep in mind while deleting.

Thanks in advance for the help,

raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raju,

Check SAP Note 7224 - Deleting old corrections and transport requests for more details

Thanks,

Sushil

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Before doing any Deletion check the transport sequence. identify or note the no. of those transport file which has yet not transported on qty or Production. take the backup of all trasport file on seprate directory by cp coppamnd(for copy) other wise u will move all trasports my MV command.

Thanks

Presu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Ideally All the files present in the /usr/sap/trans/data and /usr/sap/trans/cofiles are of no use because all the correction presesnt in these files are already applied in the DB of your system.

But still please you should not clean all the files from this directory because there may be chances that you may need to reimport the old transport again and in that case you will be in need of these files specially when you are using a comman directory for DEV, QA and Prod system.

So in short, there is no hard and fast rules for deletion of these files, but yes please try to keep at least one month old files. It will be best that if you take take the backup of these all files and than delete them so that you should be ready to deal with any unforeseen situation.

With Regards,

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raj

SAP Note 41732 - Deletion of data in transport directory

16513 File system is full - what do I do?

SAP Note 6604 - Deleting job logs at operating system level

deletion at OS level involves rm command in unix, you can always see the usage of any command in unix platform, by typing, man commandname. for eg. man rm, it will show the usage of rm command

http://www.devdaily.com/unix/edu/examples/rm.shtml

But make sure to read the Notes first before doing anything

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhudev,

Thanks for your reply.In our trans directory Logs sub directory is the largest so i want to compress the files to maximum extent as there are logs from 2002.Our unix team has compressed it.If i delete will there be any impact on the servers and also please specify how i can delete these (commands).

Thanks in advance for the help,

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raj

Deletion of logs is not a good idea.

I would rather suggest that you move the older logs to a directory which has free space

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj

If you already got those files compressed, then it's better not to delete them. However, if you really want to free up the space in this particular directory then you can move those compressed files into some other filesystem and keep them saved. It all depends on your client strategy too, whethe they want to keep those old logs or not.

However, moving those very old logs wouldn't affect your system now, but be sure not to move recent log files as they form the import queue/import history and import logs in SAP application. you can keep the logs of like one year there itself.

we too have the logs there in the log directory itself, dated since 2000 !

to move the files, refer the man page of mv command on your unix platform, type, man mv

http://www.computerhope.com/unix/umv.htm