cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MDM MASTER DATA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am abap and XI consultant, my company want me o shft into MDM. But when i gone to documents of MDM in that there had given the definitions of the MDM and its properties, But in anyone of the scenerios it has not explained the , how to create the master data. When i even posted some question in previous thread , Just some people are just forwarding Links, which that links are available in service .sap.com..But none of us provided links how to create the MASTER DATA IN SAP MDM. Is the person who worked on ABAP and XI is eligible for MDM r not because all this MDM looks like for the FUNCTIONAL PEOPLE.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jaswanth,

I am abap and XI consultant, my company want me o shft into MDM. But when i gone to documents of MDM in that there had given the definitions of the MDM and its properties, But in anyone of the scenerios it has not explained the , how to create the master data. When i even posted some question in previous thread , Just some people are just forwarding Links, which that links are available in service .sap.com..But none of us provided links how to create the MASTER DATA IN SAP MDM. Is the person who worked on ABAP and XI is eligible for MDM r not because all this MDM looks like for the FUNCTIONAL PEOPLE.

How to create master data in MDM:

In MDM, we create a repository which will contain the various tables and Fields inside them. We set the properties such as widdth, table type, field type, display field etc. This part of desiging the repository is called as Repository modeling. The input for this, is a data model, which in most cased are designed by the functional people as they understand the business compartively easily.

Once the repository is ready, we import the Master data into the MDM repository. We map the source fields with the MDM fields. Then the master data gets imported into MDM.

Otherwise, for creating the master data directly into MDM, go to Data Manager. Go to record mode and right click-> Add.

Then you can feed in the data for the fields for that record. This is how you create a record in MDM. In most cases, MDM is integrated with a front end like Enterprise portal, so that users can create Master data through portal, which gets created in MDM in the backend.

Being an ABAP-XI consultant, it will advantageous for you to learn MDM as XI is extensively used in MDM projects as middleware so that MDM can import and export data through XI. Also there is lot of API work which comes in most of the cases. You can also work on MDM ABAP API's for the same.

Functional understanding is a good thing to have but its not a pre-requisite for learning MDM.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jaswant,

I'm not sure whether you have gone through this help pages or not, if not spend couple of days time to understand the MDM by going through the help pages

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/43/D7AED5058201B4E10000000A11466F/frameset.htm

It doesn't matter what's you background was, but as other members members clearly mentioned in their replies, your ABAP/XI skills will give leverage with respect to understanding the tables and corresponding data model in SAP.

If you are not familiar with the datamodel for the customers, vendors, material, I suggest you read the appropriate SAP help material on these subjects, which will be much helpful in architecting the Master Data for an enterprise. Wishing you all the best

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jaswanth,

Forget what is your background, SAP tells that if you want to learn SAP MDM there is no such a prerequisite.

It is good that you have a knowledge of SAP XI. XI gives strength to MDM to support data upload & download process. You have a good chance to switch to MDM. If you see SAP MDM roadmap, it will be powerful tool in 2010. Certification of MDM is not much difficult now cause MDM is now in its developing stage.

It is not the thing that you should be with functional background. All you need to know is the understanding of master data (not necessarily creation of it in MDM). You'r SAP background ( ABAP + XI ) would definitely put you on advantageous side. Regarding creating master in MDM is simple task but what should be created as a master data in MDM is definitely not an easy job. You you can use your ABAP & XI knowledge to implement technicality of MDM and later with project experience you can become MDM consultant.

So gear up, move to MDM now.

As you said you have many links of MDM, you have understood that there are many ways by which one can create master data in MDM (depending upon source of data). Yet providing other links to clear some of your doubts.

For your reference follow this blog on SAP MDM consultant.

SAP MDM 7.1 features

/people/markus.ganser/blog/2008/08/05/stay-on-track-with-sap-netweaver-mdm-release-71-preview-series--part-1

Roles and Responsibilities of MDM Consultant

/people/parul.malhotra/blog/2008/07/14/roles-and-responsibilities-of-mdm-consultant

here you will find important is PI for MDM.

regards,

Abhijeet...