cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Webdynpro for ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am working in Webdynpro Java and Portal Administration for the past three years.

I am very much interested in learning Webdynpro ABAP.

Please let me know what are the skills (in ABAP language especially) i need to know for working in

Webdynpro ABAP. What are the scopes in the coming days for Webdynpro ABAP.

Thanks a lot.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Srini,

Welcome to Web Dynpro for ABAP forum!!!

Webdynpro ABAP is mainly for developing webapplications in ABAP.

WDA includes all the three things i.e. Programming, UI design & Settings (configuration).

As you said you have good experience of 3 yrs in Java. Try to gain some knowledge of ABAP Objects (OOP). It will be helpful to you.

There are lots of threads are available.

Plz chk the below links:

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/de/408e41392fb85fe10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm]

[Advantages of WDA|]

[Adv & pitfalls of WD4A|]

Hope this will Helpful.

Regards,

Anita Vizhi Arasi B

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi I'm bumping this topic because I come from the java perspective too and I want to get to know the se80 a lot better. What makes me wonder is when I type an object name and the -> it doesnt offer me available methods or static members via auto completion like the NWDS does. I dont really want to type this stuff all by myself

Also whats the equivalent for the simple types in WDJ? Do I have to populate them via Method Call?

Is there a guide to WDA for java people?

thanks

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>What makes me wonder is when I type an object name and the -> it doesnt offer me available methods or static members via auto completion like the NWDS does. I dont really want to type this stuff all by myself

NetWeaver 7.02 and NetWeaver 7.1 and higher both have syntactical code completion that works like NWDS does. Before these release levels you have to either type or use the Pattern button to insert ABAP OO Patterns.

You might be interested if you are going to TechEd this year, to attend session CD262 - ABAP for Java Developers: Modern Business Programming with ABAP Objects. It won't get into too much WDA, but will focus on the core language between the two environements.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks - how can I find out the netweaver version number? I got a system where it says Netweaver 7.0 under System Status Componentversion and another system where it just says ECC 6.0 (it still has the WebAS, otherwise I wouldnt be able to launch the application )

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Sounds like you have found the main component release level by choosing System->Status. Now press the little component information button under that field to see the breakdown of all the software components in your system. The release level of SAP_BASIS software component will tell you your NetWeaver release level.

However I can tell you that you don't have the functionality I describe on your ECC system. ECC only runs on top of NetWeaver 7.0x, so you can't have NetWeaver 7.1 or higher there. The NetWeaver 7.02 (Enhancement Packaage 2) will bring this code completion functionality to the ABAP Editor for ERP (and all the business suite) - but this Enhancement Package isn't released yet. It is close to finished and you should see it early next year.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess NW 7.1 doesnt mean the same as NW CE 7.1 does it .. phew, another customer successfully confused by SAP Marketing

thank you for your clarification thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

as u r new to webdynpro ABAP and u hve worked only on java so u must be having very less exp in ABAP lang.

dont get dishearted by this as webdynpro ABAP is much easier than webdynpro JAVA.

u need to know the ABAP language so then only u can do the coding.

say for eg. u want to display details in table format. u will be using the TAble UI element for it, but then u retrieve the data u need to know how to define the structure/ internal table then the select query n finally then u will display the tables.

so u gotto know the ABAP language, but still i m telling u its not tat tough!!!!

Hope this will help you!!!

Thanks & Regards,

Punit Raval