Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no case sensitivity on the data inserted

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am using a custom table using MATNR as a field and the data element is also the stranded MATNR and as most of you might be knowing on the domain matnr has not low case it not ticked so according SAP it should convert the sent MATNR to upper case before insertion.

but i find records which lower case MATNR on this table.

can anyone tell me why such things is happening

Nafran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have tried to replicate the same scenario through program when you insert values into the MATNR field

if values are lower case it will display in Lower case only.But it try directly through program it will convert to upper case.

Similarly it created a Field in my ztable with Lower case checked.

1) I created New Entries that were updated as lower case.But when i tried to enter values in upper case from program the table was updated with upper case.

Conclusion:

Through program the you can enter data in any case may be in upper or lower.

But directly through table browser case is taken into care.

Regards,

Gurpreet

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This might have inserted using the UPDATE/MODIFY/INSERT statement's from the Zprograms. IN standard sap convert's to uppercase and updates the database.

karol_seman
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nafran,

if the value in the table is automatically converted into UPPER CASE or not is depending on domain settings. You have to check domain settings of the field you want to have in upper case. Probably in your field domain is checked that it accept lower case letters. So do the change in the domain to uncheck "lower case". If you cannot change the domain you are using then you have to do it manually in the code. So you have to use command TRANSLATE TO UPPER CASE.

Regards,

Karol

0 Kudos

domain i am using is MATNR and on it lower case is not ticked this works fine when entries inserted to mara

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If the entry is inserted by processing thru IDOCs/Report pgms .....this will happen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

i checked using a test program to insert a record to mara

i think even though the feature is on the domain its useless.

this might be a bug in SAP.

Nafran

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi all,

> i checked using a test program to insert a record to mara

>

> i think even though the feature is on the domain its useless.

>

> this might be a bug in SAP.

>

> Nafran

Not entirely useless. Try using a parameter defined with respect to a domain allowing lower case, and one not, and see the difference.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have tried to replicate the same scenario through program when you insert values into the MATNR field

if values are lower case it will display in Lower case only.But it try directly through program it will convert to upper case.

Similarly it created a Field in my ztable with Lower case checked.

1) I created New Entries that were updated as lower case.But when i tried to enter values in upper case from program the table was updated with upper case.

Conclusion:

Through program the you can enter data in any case may be in upper or lower.

But directly through table browser case is taken into care.

Regards,

Gurpreet